Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is up with the "Surrogates" trailer?

Author Topic: What is up with the "Surrogates" trailer?
Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2009 01:09 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you guys get a chance take a look at the 35mm trailer for Surrogates. I've noticed it looks as though they took a H.264 video-compressed version of the trailer and transferred it to film. Fine details and fine-grained color seperation, for the most part, isn't there, and I can see those familiar compression artifacts all over the place.

Might this be a result of the trailer editing house being in a big rush to get their preview to the distributor? I've never seen anything quite like this. I certainly hope this doesn't become a standard practice.

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2009 02:42 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i haven't seen this particular trailer, but you describe a familiar problem. the recent "il divo" trailer looked really bad. aren't trailers supposed to sell the movie? they seem to do the opposite in these cases.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2009 06:54 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another one that looks really bad at the moment is Bandslam.

Matt Skilton
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Matt Skilton   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Skilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The song is Bandslam is so bad that I haven't even noticed what the quality of the print is like, lol.
I put a Surrogate trailer in a Terminator trailer set this week but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Shall do tomorrow.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-12-2009 11:04 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's "lol"?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-12-2009 10:27 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"lol" is an abbreviation for "laugh[ing] out loud," and is common in the vernacular of instant messaging, text messaging, etc.

--jhawk

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2009 12:23 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched Surrogates in our biggest house, finely focused... and the only problem I see is Bruce Willis doing yet another throwaway movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: