Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RS232 control box -- does anyone make this product?

Author Topic: RS232 control box -- does anyone make this product?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-08-2009 10:25 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to get some sort of box with a dozen or so buttons, each of which is capable of sending an RS232 command (or multiple commands) to one or more of several outputs (each with a separate baud rate/stop bits/parity/flow control configuration). Ideally, it would be able to listen for an RS232 response and do things like make the buttons light up and/or blink, as programmed. RS422 and contact-closure control would be nice bonuses.

I'm not looking for a full-blown automation system (Crestron, AMX, etc.), but want a way to control several RS232-capable devices from one place using a hardware device that can be programmed once and then left in place.

The intended application would be to control a video projector, scaler/switcher, videotape player, DVD player, etc. from one location.

Does Extron or someone else sell something like this for a non-insane price (say, under $500 or thereabouts)? Am I asking too much?

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2009 10:41 AM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used Hall Research Technologies RS232 controllers with good results. This controlled pre show video ad projection and kept the cool down cycle.You have to program them which can be a bit frustrating since projector codes vary. Maybe they make different types of RS232 controllers for your needs...

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 06-08-2009 10:59 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh...thanks! The Phoenix box seems to be very, very close to what I want.

If anyone knows of anything comparable that is either a) cheaper or b) has more RS232 outputs, I'm interested. Otherwise, I may try this.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-08-2009 12:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For just buttons to RS232...Mediatech has a nifty solution called the buttonmate XL (aka Starfish).

http://www.gomediatech.com/starfish.php

Mediatech has other devices too that have more ins/outs.

One of our more popular controllers now is the Extron MLC 226 IP.
http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=mlc226ip

It has two RS232 ports (bi directional) and three ports that are selectable IR/RS232 out. Furthermore, there are 6 relays grouped in pairs (common terminal between the pair so one can make a SPDT out of the pair or two SPST). There is also a pair of inputs to allow a contact closure to initiate things.

This guy also can be put on your network to give you control of the connected devices from anywhere on your network. It can generate emails and such to ensure that things like replacement lamps are ordered/installed on time or remind you to clean...etc.

There are many expansion modules for it to increase the button count/location.

It is not cheap but very powerful, expandable and can grow/change as the needs change.

In a similar category, the Extron IPL T SF24 can give you two RS232 ports with 4 GPIO ports.

Another nice thing about the Extron boxes is that Extron will make the drivers for you...if you send the unit it, they will verify it all works correctly too.

On the Mediatech front...you have to make your own RS232 command list...but once done its done and you can then load that list on future projects and just select the commands you want.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-08-2009 01:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We build our own to control the video projectors from the TA10 but it is 2 commands only and if it was used with other than the projector model number that we use then one would have to right another program for the pic chip

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 07-06-2009 09:21 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.

For whatever it's worth, I ended up going with the Mediatech unit. It works as advertised, and the programming software is straightforward and well designed. [thumbsup] Any theatre with a video projector and/or scaler would probably benefit from having something like this to allow easy format/aspect ratio changes without having to deal with an IR remote and/or on-screen menus.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-06-2009 12:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Did you end up creating multiple pages to increase the effective button count or just stick with the 8 buttons?

Steve

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2009 03:55 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
Who did you buy it from?
This unit looks very interesting to me.

Tony

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 07-06-2009 10:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got it from Steve's company (Cardinal Sound). The price was very reasonable.

I haven't settled on a final configuration yet...still playing with various ideas. My use isn't for a permanent install--just temporary use at film festivals and screenings, so the configuration may have to change depending upon what equipment we get from the rental houses.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: