Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex SH1000 needs new gasket....tips? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Simplex SH1000 needs new gasket....tips?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-04-2009 09:28 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Simplex SH1000 that is emptying the gear oil about once every 3 shows thru the gasket seal on the gear side. Today I saw what seems like the gasket material itself has melted into a big drop of dark brown brittle stuff directly below the gear housing.

I want to disassemble the whole thing and put in a new seal, but I only watched my mentor open up one of these, but it was like 25 years ago, so I can't remember squat.

Is there anything special I should know about? I don't want to unscrew the housing plate only to have a bunch of springs and parts fly out all over the room.

Any helpful tips and what to avoid would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-04-2009 09:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Head to an auto parts house (like NAPA) and buy you a roll of gasket material.

Then, take the door, lay it on the gasket material, press down on the gasket material with the door and that should leave some sort of indentation on the material since you're gonna have to cut out within the gasket material with an "X-acto" knife, and with a fine tip "Sharpie" marker, trace out the frame of the door to cut with either the "X-acto" or the scissors..

good luck on this one. - Monte

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-04-2009 10:35 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No springs should fly out or anything.. Remove the pulleys and all those little parts from the two shafts and carefully take the cover off. This is what it looks like with the cover removed. That spiral gear turns two regular brass gears in opposite directions; (the brass gears were already removed when I took this picture) Usually the upper one wears faster because it also drives the whole projector head. You can get gears and gaskets from Wolk.

-

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-04-2009 11:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, and please remember which brass gear goes where, for one of them is off-set to center and if that one goes on the other shaft, you'll wear out the teeth off that brass gear in a quick.

I learned that one the hard way moons ago .....

-Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-05-2009 12:10 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte; they are the same in Simplex, different on RCA. Otherwise identical.

We do not use any seals on the ball bearings. I know it seems counterintuitive, but oil usage is less. Louis

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-05-2009 01:29 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No seals on ours, fill it till it reaches the point where it starts to come out of the bearings. When running the level settles at the point where it is maintainable.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2009 03:38 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the SH-1000 Remove the whole gearbox from the soundhead. Just 4 screws and loosen the allen screw on the flexible coupler and pull out the gear side. Nothing will shoot out at you. Have the manual handy. Have you just tried tightening all the gearbox screws?

No seals of any kind just gaskets. Wolk or LaVezzi both have them as well as the gears. Bearing retainer gaskets are very thin. Should be 6 of them and a gearbox cover gasket if you are pulling it down all the way. You may need an CCS oil slinger as they seem to wear. Bearings need to be open at least on the inside to oil properly.

Will be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Dick

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-05-2009 09:33 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had good results with double sealed bearings (2RS). A few have run heavy schedules for 5 years now with no leakage and no appreciable oil loss... and no problems. One issue is that with sealed bearings the case is effectively hermetically sealed: it's not easy to get oil in (or out) and oil can dribble out the filler with temperature changes. I just drill a tiny (#60 drill or so) hole in the very top of the gearcase to let air out (and in).
The extra friction load of the sealed bearings (6 of them) hasn't been a problem.
On one I used 1RS bearings and have also had no trouble. Same need for a breather hole.
With the original 1Z single shielded bearings the gearbox should outlive most of us, but you'll have oil stains down the sides after a while at the least. Tipping the soundhead over will dump the oil pretty darn quickly: with sealed bearings the cases stay dry and even tipped on the side you only get a few drops lost.
Running without oil will destroy the gears (available from Wolk at last check but $$$) quickly.
Wolk should have the gaskets. They also should have the sprocket side round covers, these tend to break at the trap roller stop.
The trickiest job is aligning the motor and gearbox. The soundhead runs amazingly smoothly when these are correctly aligned but has a vibration and odd noise when they are misaligned. For some unknown reason many I've seen are not alignable as-is, the holes for the motor plate mounting bolts have to be drilled out to allow the motor to get high enough to line up.
Change the motor bearings to 2RS while you're at it, removing the grease cups and plugging their holes with 1/8NPT plugs.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-06-2009 03:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that causes the bronze gears to wear out very quickly after a rebuild is a very worn pinion!!!

I would tighten up the rear screws first... that should at least slow the leak down. Also check the oil sight glass very, very carfully. ALL of the original sight glasses eventually leak too. You my want to replace the sight glass at the same time as the gasket. The rubber sealed bearings are also a good idea but I prefer rubber seal only on the outside. Let the oil lubricate the bearing as it was intended to do.

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-07-2009 10:33 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As always, thanks for the help, guys (and the pictures John). I am not as trepedatious about it now.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-07-2009 11:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is correct about the pinion...too many people think the steel gears don't wear like the softer metals or fiber...while it is true they don't wear as much, any wear they do get, they immediately impart onto their weaker mating gears!

The other big thing I see with gear box failures is too light a weight of oil. 30-weight is too thin. 40 weight should be a minimum. Ever looked at the oil flow inside a gearbox soundhead? If it is too thin, it does not coat the upper gear.

As for the gaskets...use the paper gaskets available from the sources listed. You can improve them with a gasket sealant such as Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket® No. 3 Sealant. Its a black tacky substance that will ensure even a paper gasket will seal up a machined surface...however it isn't as thick other gasket solutions that will through off your clearances.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-07-2009 12:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you who are lucky enough to get to visit Mike Blaksleys auto parts store will get to play with the lubricant thingy on the counter... made up of several gears in a see through plastic housing... you turn the crank and watch the lube stick to the gear teeth.... this stuff what ever it is would make a great SH-1000 lube. Perhaps Mike can chime in on this.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 06-07-2009 03:17 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark.

I'm guessing that counter display is from Lucas Oil Products. We have them here in Australia and are always fun to play with.

Here is a good page displaying these oil characteristics.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Cheers
Ian

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-07-2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Perhaps Mike can chime in on this.
...and post a video of it in action. [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-07-2009 05:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get an RCA gearbox...that will let you remove the "corner" of the box and you can see the lube on the gear real easy.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: