Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » JBL 3677 4648

Author Topic: JBL 3677 4648
David Alexander B
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2009 03:06 AM      Profile for David Alexander B   Author's Homepage   Email David Alexander B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good morning
i have at home this combination (room is 430X260X900cm)
LR: 3677
C: 3677+4648 (active biam current crossover DBX set at 140hz)
SUR 8340
SUBS: 4645Cx2
anyone has an opinion at best crossover point you'd use for the Center? let it's sub 15s go to 500hz as they are cut in the big models like 4670 or 4675C ? it's an unconventional Center I concede. (3677 on top of 4648).
thanks.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2009 11:09 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the 3677 the Frequency Range is 40 Hz to 20 kHz (-10 dB) and for the 4648 the Frequency Range is 30 Hz - 1.8 kHz (-10 dB). I would prefer to keep the 4648 working to it's full capacity thus putting the crossover frequency at 1.8 kHz because the 3677 is not as efficient as the 4648 is the mid/lows. 140hz is way low I believe as you are utilising the 4648 as a subwoofer only while it is capable of mid frequencies as well.
Demetris

David Alexander B
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2009 01:40 PM      Profile for David Alexander B   Author's Homepage   Email David Alexander B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi
thanks for the comment
the issue is two fold:
1. the center channel sub is on the floor. one woofer below the screen. you can "feel" the low fq from the bottom
2. also a crossover so high, since the amp feeding both units is a 3x350w 9ohms (2x600w at 4ohms), isn't it a lot then if the crossover is so high? there's still the passive filter in the 3677 of course

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2009 12:15 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are thinking of using the set as a 3 way! Well unfortunately you can't. It's a two way combination . Mid/Lows combined and Highs seperated. You are actually removing the stress from the 3677 by putting the crossover at 1.8khz. In any case when you bi-amp or tri-amp speakers the high frequency area is really capable of very little wattage. The real watts are needed on the mid and especially the lows. Have you tried the combination I proposed?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: