Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex E-7 Restoration Advice Needed

Author Topic: Simplex E-7 Restoration Advice Needed
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2009 05:33 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently restoring/preserving two vertical shaft E-7's.

I am cleaning all the muck off the die-cast parts (black wrinkle finish) by soaking in warm soapy water and carefully scrubbing with a sponge and shop towel. Problem is that when the parts dry, the finish turns brownish. Anyone know what in the paint is causing this?? Remember that these are zinc/pot-metal die-cast parts that do not rust.

The machines will occasionally be run...so I wanted an opinion regarding appropriate preservation grease/oil.

Mark Gulbrandsen: I e-mailed you regarding some intermittent and spare parts help. You never responded [Confused] .

Cheers

Kutler

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-03-2009 09:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will,

What you are seeing is actually the dirt. You've pulled the oil away and are seeing what is left.

Now...try with a cleaner like Simple Green or Zep Spree with a tooth brush and water...you have to brush pretty good but when you are done...you should see the original finish.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-03-2009 09:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Will Kutler
Mark Gulbrandsen: I e-mailed you regarding some intermittent and spare parts help. You never responded .

Thats because I've been on the road. I'm actually in Louisana right now enjoying some great Cajun cook'n!!! I'll will call you when I get bck to SLC.... probably over the next weekend.

I suspect that something in the detergent you're using is reacting with something in the paint. Remember there IS lead in the paint from that era. I use Dawn Detergent, seems to be pretty neutral in and of itself and it's great at cutting grease. I reccomend that you use Dow Oven Cleaner or some other type of oven cleaner who's fumes won't knock you on your ass. I've used oven cleaner for many years on most projectors to remove the grimy dort and dried up oil that accumulates. BUT! If you're not careful it will remove the paint. Don't make the water too hot, that increases the likelyhood of stripping the paint off or bublin it up. Spyar it on and swish it around with a fairly still brish to loosen the crud up. Then rinse in cool water and make sure you get all the cleaner off. I reccomend that you experiment a bit before doing critical pieces or you might be re-painting some of them... The gray wrinkle paint used on Centurys is durable and particularly good to clean this way.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-03-2009 10:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have access; ultrasonic unit with water soluable cleaning solution. The unit we have is just like the jewelry shop except about 200 times more powerful. Louis

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2009 05:52 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try "scrubbing bubbles"...seriously, this stuff really gets off some nasty stains and crud.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2009 09:06 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will,

I have a vertical shaft E-7 that has a stripped shutter shaft. Let me know if you need any parts. I'll send them to you free if you pay for shipping. Don't really want to deal with parts that are hard to remove though as I don't really have a ton of spare time, but any easy to remove parts let me know. It is in very good physical condition.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2009 04:45 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All!

Thanks for your help. Soaking and scrubbing in mild dishwashing detergant and warm water was not quite effective enough. I had some Clorox Bathroom Cleaner in the spray bottle on hand and decided to give it a try. A couple of sprays immediately lifted the dirt without attacking the wrinkle finish. The result: WOW! [Big Grin]

Mark: I look forward to your call.

Adam: Please hold your thought on your E-7. I have a couple of parts machines and maybe we can restore yours, too?

Also, the Mercury switch lead in the spot sight box: does it attach to upper pin P-643-D or lower pin P-644-D. The E-7 book is unclear.

Cheers

Kutler

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-05-2009 08:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had some Clorox Bathroom Cleaner in the spray bottle on hand and decided to give it a try. A couple of sprays immediately lifted the dirt without attacking the wrinkle finish. The result: WOW!

I'll have to give some of that a try!!! Talk to you soon...

Mark

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2009 06:54 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark

Are you back yet? I need your help on this restoration.

Cheers

Kutler

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2009 07:05 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cleaned out my Simplex 1014's & 5 Stars afeter dissassembling them with a Dremel tool with a brush bit & light hydraulic oil.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2009 10:41 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question about the aperture shoe guides.

All of the ones that I have (including used spares) have erosion/burrs. Can I surface grind them, or will that open up distance between the two too much (once mounted on the shoes), resulting in an unsteady picture (lateral film motion)? I beleive that the distance between the two, once mounted on the shoes, is 35mm?

Cheers

Kutler

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: