Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to find a bad driver?

Author Topic: How to find a bad driver?
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a report that a speaker in a theatre sounds like it is blown. I have listened to the sound, but have not detected anything unusual. So, I'm curious if there is some test I can perform to stress the speaker in different ways to possibly find the distortion which was reported.

The reported problem was a crackling sound during a normal volume dialogue from Spok during the movie Star Trek XI.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-02-2009 04:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, Spock's been through a lot including death and living in at least 2 timelines. Maybe he just had a little phlegm that day.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-02-2009 04:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can climb backstage and hear your center speaker HF horn to see if that diaphram has cracked since it was during voice that the distortion was resulting from.

You could also have alignment issues, tired amps - all sorts of issues that can cause speaker distortions.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2009 04:45 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How to find a bad driver? Look for the person who is talking on their cell phone while behind the wheel.

It could also be dirty connections, or switches.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-02-2009 05:26 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, you use a tone generator and sweep up and down. Usuall, you will hit the exact frequency and then you will hear a rattle or something not right.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-02-2009 09:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of driver?

Every time I get these kind of calls, I find either a bad amplifier module or, more likely, really bad EQ or levels in the processor leading to clipping.

The last one was a pair of CP-500s (set up by Dolby employees) with the bass fully off and +-15db EQ in the mid range. Clipping was horrible on Star Trek. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-02-2009 10:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweep tones are my favorite...Got a Dolby Jiffy test?

Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-02-2009 10:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Move over to Mac where you don't have to uninstall bad "drivers".

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-03-2009 01:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(a bad driver is when the face of the driver doesn't grip the ball too well when it's hit out of the teebox and it doesn't give it the reverse spin for good lift as needed causing the ball to drop and die way short of the shot....- okey, hit me [Big Grin] )

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2009 10:13 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Got a Dolby Jiffy test?
No, but I wish I did. Does anyone know how I can acquire this test film?

I do have a tone generator, so I'll give that a try.

Clipping indeed is a great suggestion in the pre amplifier stages. Any suggestions on how I could introduce some test signals in this area which would expose an error in the EQ settings or would it just be better to perform a B chain from scratch and see what happens?

As for the comic relief replies...thanks all...funny stuff [Wink]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-03-2009 02:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look in any Volvo!

seriously:

Plug into the power amp input with your oscillator and sweep.

As regards EQ; us old-timers can just look at the eq settings and tell if there are "issues." 1. Are most settings "up' or "down?". 2. Are settings "violent" (fully up or down.) 3. are setting up and down right next to each other? 4. Is every setting somewhere other than zero? (Should be 8 or less in an average cinema room.) Louis

Massive correction is best done with the bass-mid-high control, with smaller correction performed with the third octave controls. Louis

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2009 05:56 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Plug into the power amp input with your oscillator and sweep.
I was just thinking about employing this method. Thanks for the confirmation.

The EQ looks fairly reasonable mostly centered around 0 for each band which may vary as much as 2 db boost or cut. The curve looks parametric and not jagged. For channels L, C, and R.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: