Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP650 Problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP650 Problem
Eric Rice
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2009 04:11 PM      Profile for Eric Rice   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're having a problem with our CP650. For some reason the sound in format 10 is only playing out of the left speaker. The amps all seem to be working fine since I can only see the left channel meter on the processer registering any sound. The reader appears to be fine as well giving a green light when running. Any ideas? I'm going to try format 5 and bypass as well as run pink noise and see if I can figure anything else out. Anyone else have any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-01-2009 04:58 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried powering it down completely and rebooting?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-01-2009 06:10 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a Lonnie Jennings-type person will take over. Might be quite lucrative if done on a business-like manor. Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-01-2009 06:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe Lonny works for Dolby any more and hasn't for quite some time. [Wink]

Anyway John gives good advice, power down and reboot. I would also try assigning Dolby Digital to, say, format 04 just to see what happens. Running pink noise before anything is also a good idea.

Eric Rice
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2009 06:47 PM      Profile for Eric Rice   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, rebooting was the first thing I tried both from the power switch and the breaker. Bypass mode runs to all three screen speakers just fine and pink noise also ran to all speakers. I tried formats 4, 5, and 10 and they all have the left channel only. Weird thing though is it's seeming to mix all or at least the front channels into that left speaker. Also it seems to freeze whenever put in Format 10. And non sync as well was playing out of left only. We did call our tech and he's gonna see what he can figure out.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-01-2009 06:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP650 firmware would help. Also what is the rest of your sound system comprised of? It is entirely possible that the 650 is fine and it is something after that which is causing the problem.

I've also seen channels drop from homemade DB25 cable connections on the back of the 650.

Anyway, try and provide as much info here as you can. It gives everyone a significantly higher chance of success knowing all of the facts.

Eric Rice
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2009 07:46 PM      Profile for Eric Rice   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running firmware version 2.3.4.4 and have three QSC DCA1644 amps and one DCA1222 with a DCM-1 monitor/crossover and a BACP DSTR-20 digital sound reader.

I did try assigning Dolby Digital to Format 4 but it just did the same thing, left speaker with a mixed signal and froze the processor.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-01-2009 08:27 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He see only the left meter on CP display running so it should be something within the processor.

What happen if you run pink noise thought the other channels?

Weird.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-01-2009 09:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This definitely sounds like an issue happening internally in the 650 assuming your troubleshooting is accurate, but just on the off chance that you wrote something down backwards, I will point out this one item...

Is your DCM-1 in EMERGENCY/BYPASS position by chance? There is a tiny switch on the front panel. Turn the power off to the DCM-1, flip that switch back and forth a few times, leaving it in the NORMAL position, then turn the power back on to the DCM-1.

The reason I say to check this is because I have seen the exact same end result happen due to this switch on an almost identical setup.

...but that doesn't jive with the other troubleshooting you provided. Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to check it. If it is in the 650, I've never seen that sort of behavior.

Eric Rice
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2009 09:13 PM      Profile for Eric Rice   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was in normal. I turned it off and flipped it back and forth a few times, no difference. I'm still only getting the left channel level reading on the processor.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-01-2009 09:22 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have another 650 you can test cards with?

In the meantime, why not swap left and center amp so at least it doesn't sound too bad.

Eric Rice
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2009 11:05 PM      Profile for Eric Rice   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately we do not have any extra 650 around. That's what we are starting to think is wrong though, a bad card or other circuitry inside. Sounds like a tech should be coming out in the next couple days to look at it though. I don't work again until Friday but I'll let you guys know what the problem was when I find out. Thanks for the help.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-01-2009 11:13 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least swap the left to center until he gets there.

Eric Rice
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2009 11:23 PM      Profile for Eric Rice   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep I left a note for the head projectionist explaining the problem and suggested he do that for now. Thanks for the idea, btw.

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2009 11:39 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try swapping cards. If the problem follows the cards to the next 650 you can narrow things down that way as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: