Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Pad roller pins

Author Topic: Pad roller pins
Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2009 04:54 PM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever replaced just the pins on a Simplex 1060 pad roller assembly? One broke earlier today & when I was looking up the part number I noticed that just the pins could be bought. My question is what is the best method for removing the broken pin & installing the new? Surely hammering the new in would fracture it and cause it to break in a short period of time. Will a vise work or is a hydraulic press needed?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-30-2009 07:50 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Press out using a small screw. New one will easily press in using a vice. Be careful to get the right pin in the right hole, since the diameters are different. I HAVE cracked the casting with the wrong one. (Wouldn't you think they would all be the same from a cost standpoint, oh, well too late to start now!) Louis

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2009 07:59 PM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol, thanks. Glad you mentioned that because i was considering robbing peter to pay paul since i have a spare feed pad roller assembly.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-30-2009 08:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went out to "Harbor Fright" and got a $35.00 arbor press to press out that pin on that pad roller assembly.

Lots cheaper in buying a sack of P-1447 pins than ordering the entire pad arm assembly with the pins already inserted.

-Monte

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2009 10:49 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of the pins break last summer on the mid feed (holdback) assembly and used one off a Christie until the replacement arrived. It wasn't until I went to install the new one that I found out it had a concentric shaft. Set the pad height to 2 film layers thickness and away she went. Also, I didn't have any trouble pushing the broken end out of the arm once the retaining screw was loosened.

This was also the first and only pin to ever break in the 14 years of use on either one of my 1060's.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-31-2009 02:36 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy's talking about the eccentric front shaft on the pad roller arm and we were talking about the spring retaining pin on the back side of the arm that has to be pressed out.

When I had those eccentrics break like that, I just move the solid shaft from the back to the front until I got some eccentrics in to replace.

Michael Wheable
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2010 04:09 AM      Profile for Michael Wheable   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wheable   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had our pin which holds the spring break on us. So for the moment got an elastic band keeping tension on assembly into place. Where can we find the part number for the pin, please. And silly question, but can't seem to get pin out from casting. Tried hitting it out from both sides, obviously not as hard as I'd like to hit it in case the casting breaks but which side? This one got us stumped! Thanks in advance

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2010 06:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually reccomend using a small drift punch to press it out via an arbor press... You could end up with a screw thats much softer then the pin itself... you could do more damage. Don't use a hammer to hammer it out.

Funny... these parts on older machines never break but in return the older castings leak a whole lot more...!

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 11:24 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a 2lb hammer, a vice and taper punch to get the old one out. Then use my Flat face vice to press in the new one. If you have the tools, it's rather easy to do.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: