Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » can i make a copy from a DTS cd?

Author Topic: can i make a copy from a DTS cd?
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2009 09:18 AM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have 2 copies of angels and demons but only one came with dts cd´s. can i make a copy? its a regular cd or a dvd?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-26-2009 10:18 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's a standard ISO9660 ("yellow book") CD-ROM. Be sure to use good quality blank media.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2009 10:20 AM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks scott [thumbsup]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-26-2009 11:29 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand Mike, be sure you call the distributor and make a stink anyway. Don't tell them you've already done their job and made your own arrangements for what they are supposed to be providing for the rental that you're paying -- just demand they get you your disc.

It's my belief that anytime we on exhibition end get short-changed like this by the distributor or studio, shouldn't just let it go and do whatever it takes to get the show on the screen. Yes, we will do that because we are dedicated, but I say at the same time, don't let them off the hook; make lots of noise....yell and hollar -- be the squeeky wheel. I think too often we just bite the bullet and let it go. No DTS discs, scratched reels, etc. -- I say, kick ass. If that happened more often when these DTS discs are missing, maybe someone with stand up and listen.

Maybe the tack is to call them up and say, "R3 is missing; we need you to send a replacement reel." And after they make all the arrangements to get a replacement for R3, call them back and say, oops, sorry, I thought the projectionist said R3 was missing....it's not; it's the DTS discs that are missing. Send the DTS discs; thanks.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2009 11:58 AM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep a stash of CD-RW discs on hand for just this very scenario - that and when we interlock a print between two houses. I use CD-RW discs because I can simply erase and re-burn for the next time.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-26-2009 12:29 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the time you'll need them, standard old Office Depot CDs work just fine... and don't cost much. I've never had a problem with them.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-26-2009 01:01 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't waste your time with CD-RW.

Office Depot and/or Staples sells Memorex Brand CD-RW for $14.99 per 25 disks. (59.9¢ ea.) You can get the No-Name disks for $9.16 per 25 disks. (36.6¢ ea.)

You can get Memorex Brand CD-R (Non-rewritable) disks for $12.99 per 50 disks. (25.9¢) No-Name disks sell for $12.62 per 100 disks. (12.6¢)

The non-rewriteables are literally 1/3 the price!

Unless you keep your rewritable disks scrupulously clean you are likely to only get 2 or three uses out of them before you have to get new.

Chances are, they will stop working during a presentation for paying customers. In which case, one single rain check will cost you more than the cost you saved by reusing the disks.

It will be much more reliable to use No-Name brand CD-Rs and throw them away when you are done. Just be sure to verify the data and pre-screen them before you use them for public shows.

Heck! For the price of those No-Names you could simply put your copy in the can with the print when you send it back!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-26-2009 01:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better yet, just get Taiyo Yuden CD-R blanks for $23.99/100. Total cost will be well under $.50/set of DTS disks and the TY blanks will work reliably. Most of the no-name blanks result in plenty of "coasters" and are generally more trouble than they are worth.

Many people also like Mitsui blanks, but I have no experience with them.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-26-2009 01:42 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you stick with disks that use the azure blue dye layer you'll be okay.

If in doubt, hold them up to the light and see what the reflection looks like. If it's a blue-green color, you're okay. If it's green, don't use it for mission-critical work.

Most name brand disks use azure dye.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2009 03:18 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
imagine you guy if is dificult for you to get the cd in U.S.
here inMexico is worst.
i hope my boss change to Dolby.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2009 04:10 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You still use DTS?

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2009 09:15 AM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have 6 dts 6ad and 35 dolby

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-27-2009 03:43 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, burn the discs at a slow speed.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much too often in Denmark, we hear certain distributors claim "that film doesn't have any fun sound, so we have not ordered the discs at all..." >Bad !

Per

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: