Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Shutter Flicker Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shutter Flicker Question
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there has been discussion here about flicker (too much light stop down the lenses, 3 bladed shutters, etc.)but I noticed something today at the theatre that I thought was odd. Here's the set up: 2 theatres excatly the same (throw and screen size). Same Xetron/Nuemade lamphouse consoles. The projectors are Century SA and the lenses are the same size with the same f stop (integrated scope). Both reflectors are the same and none had any explotion in them. What would make one theatre have a shutter flicker and the other one not have a flicker? I'm getting the same brightness too.

Is it something slowing down the one projector?

Also, is there a relationship to the size of the shutter blade to shutter flicker?

Just was wondering.

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-21-2009 07:56 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lamp flicker, or rectifier unevenness (filter caps? diodes?)?

Can you see the lamp pulsing if you look at it without the shutter? Or if you look at the ammeter? [Or if you allow the light from the lamp to fall on a fast photocell and look at it on an oscilloscope...]

Have you tried both projectors without lenses and looked at the screen? That might give a clue as well. [possibly without the shutter running, but that's not a very safe thing to try...]

--jhawk

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a diode or cap problem. Lamp is not pulsing with projector off. And if it was an unevenness is the rec, if wouldn't be consistant. And this is not a bad diode, I usually get a strobe effect or a tripped breaker. This is just basic shutter flicker.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-21-2009 08:14 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same size shutters? If they're adjustable, what shutter angle?

Maybe slight differences in the motor speed? If you put some pressure on the motor flywheel with a cloth while running (slow it down just a hair), does the effect change?

Do you see it both with and without film?

Poly-V belt or toothed belt on the motor?

--jhawk

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 08:27 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting idea. Belts? not sure, I'm pretty sure that they are both a tooth belt. The shutters, I believe are the same stardard 90 degree bowtie century shutters.

How much slower than the 1725rpms does the motor need to run to start showing flicker? And if it is a motor issue or overall projector issue, how would you go about telling what speed the projector is actually running at?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-21-2009 08:34 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poly-V belts are prone to slippage, such that the belt tightness affects the speed. That should be much less true of the toothed belts.

You can measure the speed with a strobe, or with a photocell looking at light through the shutter (connect to a DMM that measures frequency, or to an oscilloscope, or a frequency counter), or by playing some film and messing up your A chain such that you play perfs and measuring the frequency of the perfs. Just don't play 1k tone and measure the frequency of that, because typical 1k tone can be ~10% off in frequency.

Another thought: if the projectors aren't on the same phase, is the motor line voltage different? Is one phase sagging?

I don't know what speed you'd need to be down to notice shutter variations. I would tend to think it would be substantial, and that you'd hear audio defects long before you saw shutter problems.

Also: Have you checked the fire shutter? On centuris, the fire shutter can fall slightly into the light path and bobble and look like flicker. This is a lot more obvious if you look at the image on the port glass, rather than on the screen, and you'll notice the flicker is confined to the bottom of the image area. If so, open the driving side and hold the fire shutter lever down (up?) by hand and see if the problem goes away.

--jhawk

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 09:32 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check to see if the shutter blade is oscillating slightly fore & aft at the bearing point at the shutter guard. That can cause a flicker with Centurys. [Big Grin]

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 09:35 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean, Fred?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-21-2009 09:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the flicker even or does it appear random?

-.-.-.-.-.-. or --.-.--.-.-...-.-.-..-.-..-.- ?

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 10:15 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
semms to be consistant

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-22-2009 12:00 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That seems to rule out problems in the rectifier. A lamp that flickers erratically is a symptom of a problem in the power supply like a lost phase, etc.

How is the focus (alignment) on the lamp?

They say they human eye isn't capable of discerning the flicker of the shutter at 48 per second but that's not entirely true. A trained eye can pick it up. It becomes easier as the picture gets brighter. Even a well-tuned projector can produce flicker if the image is too bright.

If the lamp is not focused correctly and produces a hot spot, it will be easy to see the flicker.

If you take the film out of the gate and project white light onto the screen, you should be able to tell what's going on in a few seconds.

Be careful! Don't burn up your lens with the hot light coming out of the open gate! (Film blocks the heat of the lamp from getting to the lens.) Only do this test for 60 seconds at a time. Give the lens another 60 seconds rest before opening the dowser again.

I don't think this is the only answer. Just one possibility. But it is an easy thing to check. When trying to solve problems, always do the easiest things first. Right? [Wink]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-22-2009 12:25 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good suggestions so far, want to add:

Make sure the shutter blades on the flickering machine aren't warped or burned with a hot spot..that will cause a flicker.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-22-2009 03:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Changing the two orange and one silver electrolytic on the top board will fix your problem Bernie. Use the exact same value but it's ok to go higher voltage rating as long as it fits. Also try to aquire 105 deg. C. capacitors if at all possible. One of those caps is the filter on the voltage refrence and when that cap gets leaky you end up with noise on the refrence and then it transmits through to the actual light generated.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-22-2009 07:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark...are you referring to a switching power supply? If so, which one?

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-22-2009 08:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. I'm referring to the capacitors on the top control circuit board. Bernie knows what I am referring to.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: