Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » help? CP45 + X-men = blech

Author Topic: help? CP45 + X-men = blech
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-20-2009 05:26 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again.
Smallish house with a CP45 and CE analog reader, passive crossover speakers (JBL) and USA900 amps.
Sound is fuzzy especially on right channel. It is audible on my trailer test reel but I would say not objectionable, but there isn't much except loud sound on the trailers.
On X-men Origins the sound is really bad, lots of distortion in the right channel particularly. Most serious with speaking level, explosions etc just sound loud as usual.
SO far I've changed a bad amplifier (fan gummed up, thermal cutout every few minutes - but sounds OK), the CP45, and the CE reader unit. The distortion stays with the amplifier channel, ie the speaker itself is OK. Sound is fine in mono ("enhanced mono" using LCR). Sounds better in "A" than SR.
I know the CP45 SR is unexcellent, but this is beyond the usual 222 SR/A fuzziness.
The only thing I have not changed so far is the CE red LED or power supply.
Dolby tone, buzz/LR, and pink noise look and sound OK.
NS sounds OK.
I changed out the processor thinking the matrix must be going screwy. Today was rather frustrating when the dang thing still sounded bad.
The cinema swapped X-men to another house and they say it sounded fine (another CP45) but I wonder about the print anyway.
Any ideas before my next visit? I'm kinda low on them now.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-20-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the readers particularly the solar cell go bad usually it starts with a lot of distortion and then fails
try running jiffy on it
Also run the cat 97 l/r film and look at thel and r outputs in SR with a scope

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 12:02 AM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I had problems with the booster pre-amp being faulty on one of our readers. From memory, It was the either the TL-072 or TL-074 op-amp on board.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-21-2009 06:28 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed the reader seems to be a likely suspect. I've tried two others: a shop spare and one from another system at the same cinema that sounded fine.
Is there any way the actual LED array could cause noise and "fuzzy" distortion in the audio?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-21-2009 08:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If some of the actual LED segments have failed it will be very distorted

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 08:43 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
I don't understand your last post. Did the two other readers clear up the problem or is the sound still bad in the right channel?

In answer to your question, missing or dark segments of the LED array can cause distorted sound. It looks to the reader like there is no information in that area of the sound track. At certain levels where the volume places peaks of information in the dark area, it will sound like the track is clipping, as they are not scanned. Lesser or greater volumes will have some distortion but will not exhibit the clipping as described above.

KEN

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-21-2009 04:27 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither swapped reader fixed it - the shop one wasn't definitely good, the one from another cinema was at least sounding OK there.
I will take a new LED and inspect the array to see if there are dark spots. I can see if a segment is dark near a channel track centre line then low level sound would be distorted. I did, however, realign the LED for best output level and recentred it on the sound track by eye with a mirror. The sound problem didn't change then.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-21-2009 06:54 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a use for that otherwise-unused Cat. 566 uniform illumination test film.

--jhawk

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2009 11:43 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
unused Cat. 566
Whit?! It's one of my most used!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: