Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Why is DTS silent on trailer. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why is DTS silent on trailer.
Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 03:38 PM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently we show "Angles & Demons" with attached trailer "Terminator".

The processor switched to DTS when the trailer starts, but the only silence in the speakers. After manually switch to dolby the DTS switch on when "Angles" begin with normal sound.

Why ?

|  IP: Logged

Paavo Mardi
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 03:49 PM      Profile for Paavo Mardi   Email Paavo Mardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably you have DTS disc only for "Angels and Demons" and not for trailer?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 04:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you're only showing one trailer-being the attached: Thus, the DTS unit receives the timecode from the trailer and switches it to DTS before your automation pulses up the dowser. When this happens, the automation defaults the processor to optical and will remain there, or can even freeze up the processor.

Either add a trailer that isn't on any discs to the front so the processor will see it as optical, add a good length of black leader at the front so the douser will open before reader sees timecode, or shorten up your douser opening time.

-Monte

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 04:08 PM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We playing 3 trailers.
"Flickan som lekte med elden" (Swedish), "2012" and "Terminator"

the 2 first plays in Dolby Digital, "Terminator" switches to DTS with silence, The feature is in DTS with sound.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2009 04:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, In the original "Buzz And Bill" DTS Demo film they did want you to listen to the silence... So perhaps they've carried that to new heights...

Really... When the trailer with no sound plays do you have...

A digital Light illuminated on your player?

Time code light lit?

Are you 100% sure you have the correct disks?

The player SHOULD revert the Dolby to analog for this trailer but it is not for some reason.

Is the DTS processor functioning normally for reversion?

Is the analog processor ok?

Is the cabling between the DTS and the Dolby ok?

Perhaps its one of the above causing the problem.... hope this helps...

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 04:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens when you remove the Terminator trailer, then no sound problems?

sounds like the trailer didn't get processed correctly.

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 04:20 PM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>Do you have a digital Light on your player?
I dont understand "digital Light", but the players LED are the same as when the DTS works. 3 stady, 1 flashes.

> Is the time code light lit?
Yes.

>Are you 100% sure you have the correct disks?
Yes
But, no trailers on the disk,

>What player do you have? 6, 6D or XD-10?

>Is the analog processor ok?
Yes (Dolby CP650)

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 04:52 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, just curious. Can the DTS timecode match up with reel 1, or a trailer file on the disk, but not advance the audio? Maybe it's a firmware thing on an older 6, but I've never seen a situation where the box would go digital and then just sit there. What could it be playing? A silent file, maybe? Seems wierd that it could do that, then be fine with the feature audio.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 05:06 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the "attached" trailer was put on the head of the feature, was part of the leader for the feature put ahead of the trailer? If so, then there might be the DTS "run-up" for the feature right before the trailer. This could confuse the DTS player. Look at the DTS code right before the Terminator trailer. If you see two DTS run-ups, cut the first one off.

I have also seen the trailer film not match the trailer on the DTS discs, however, the DTS player should figure this out, and play analog.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 05:12 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true, Bruce. However, if I were to do that, my 6Ds would switch to digital, then revert as soon as they saw a timecode for something that wasn't on the disk. It would be a common function during the play of most of our trailer packs, assuming we don't all play only trailers for which we have digital audio. The 6 was supposed to revert as well, but I don't recall if it had to have a specific adapter in the control cable for that purpose.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 06:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you switch off your DTS reader during a movie, does it automatically revert to analogue sound?

If not, there's your problem. As you've said, the disc doesn't contain the Terminator trailer yet has DTS code on it. The DTS unit sees it when the trailer hits so away it goes but there's nothing there on the disc. Unable to revert to analogue it appears to stay running until it gets to the feature.

Pull the cable on the reader while a feature is running and test that.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2009 10:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like the discs do not have the Terminator audio on it, but they DO have the 2012 audio, such that the dts kicks in AND the SRD kicks in, but for some reason the SRD drops out when the Terminator trailer starts (perhaps a bad printing job) defaulting to dts which was already running before, but now has no audio to play. Hard to explain.

Flip the order of the last 2 trailers and report back.

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2009 06:46 AM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Heres is some more details

The 2012 (1:1.85) Plays in Dolby Digital.
Then:
- The original leader (wile automation change format)
- Terminator (Scope)
- Feature: Deamons & Angles. (Scope)

All from lab, no splices between Leader, Trailer, Feature.
----
If i disconnect the DTS-reader - the sound reverts to Dolby Digital.

If I cut the Power (220V) to the DTS unit - the sound does not revert - silence.
-----
I dont know if the DTS disk have any sound for the trailer, I take a look later today.
Buy I have newer seen any DTS-disk with Trailers-sound before.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2009 08:07 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although its been more than two years I had been in a projection booth as a projectionist, I do recall that some trailers were included in feature DTS discs.
Demetris

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2009 12:01 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce Hansen
If so, then there might be the DTS "run-up" for the feature right before the trailer. This could confuse the DTS player.
To me this, combined with the nature of the way your
automation interface is wired, makes the most sense
since I've had a similar problem like this last year,
and everything else seems to be working right for you.

I had a feature where the attached trailer was hot-
spliced on and there was apparantly a bit of the
"reel one" timecode in the black right before the
trailer. It would confuse the DTS 6D, sometimes
causing it to go into a temporary lock-up condition.
Removing about 6inches of film right before the trailer
splice cured the problem. JUST FYI> Prior to making this
fix, the film ran fine when sound was played back from an
DTS XD-10, but the "10" is a much more sophisticated unit
and probably better able to deal with things like this.

Just to confirm, here in the USA, the Angels & Demons
feature disks don't have the Terminator audio on them.
Only "Julie & Julia", "Pelham 123" & "Ugly Truth trailers

Actual(WoW!) DTS Disk Directory (Edited:Trailers Only)  -

quote: Paer Hoegberg
"Flickan som lekte med elden"
My friend, whose mother is Swedish, speaks a little bit
of the language and tells me that this is something like
"Girl Playing With Fire" or "Firey Girl" or "Girl on FIre"
. . whatever it is, it sounds hot! [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: