Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Star Trek: Check your volume, I guess (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Star Trek: Check your volume, I guess
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-18-2009 04:33 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a broadcast fax:

"In order to protect the integrity of the vision of the film makers, the producers of " STAR TREK " have requested that you play the film at a minimum sound level of 7 DB's so that the audience can experience the sound effects as they wre intended."

Yes, I know what they're trying to say, but "7DB's" (?) shouldn't be too hard on our trusty old amps, eh?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-18-2009 04:53 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always make a point of running my movies at 7db. That way I know the audience can really hear the air conditioning and be comforted in the fact that it is operating and they are getting their money's worth.

[Roll Eyes]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2009 05:28 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats pretty funny, what are you going to do about it? Now I guess that 7db really means dolby 7? I guess that as the cars arrive you are going to have to install processors in all of them? Perhaps you could calabrate all the customers car stereos with a test film? Perhaps using a db meter you could do random checks of the cars, anyone not playing it loud enough will be asked to leave!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-18-2009 05:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when most movies came with memos "from the director" in the cans saying that the movie MUST be played at a volume level of "7". That doesn't seem to happen as much any more from what I have personally seen, though. With the typical shitty auditorium EQs I hear at local multiplexes, 7 would be much too loud. A better EQ enables higher volume levels since certain frequencies aren't slicing your ear apart. Most multiplexes seem to run at about 5.5, max. I run my movies at my theater at about 6.5 - 6.8 usually. NO complaints.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-18-2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just use the old tried and true method of listening with my highly-sensitive ears and discerning the proper level. It must work because we virtually never get complaints either. Occasionally I'll hear a "Wow, that was LOUD!" comment, which I consider a compliment.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-18-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jane Campion faxed a note around to all cinemas here on opening day of 'Portrait Of A Lady' to play the film at '7' and no lower.

That thing was so freaking loud it ended up playing on 4.2!!! At '7' I could hear it in the booth...with the monitor turned down!

7! [Roll Eyes]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-18-2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thats pretty funny, what are you going to do about it? Now I guess that 7db really means dolby 7? I guess that as the cars arrive you are going to have to install processors in all of them? Perhaps you could calabrate all the customers car stereos with a test film? Perhaps using a db meter you could do random checks of the cars, anyone not playing it loud enough will be asked to leave!
Yah... pretty funny, if you look at it that way, but I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking about drive-ins.

They don't have to worry about us. I have more trouble with multi-megawatt subwoofers than people who can't seem to get enough volume out of their radios... part of the risk of having digital playback stuff! [evil]

quote: Joe Redifer
I run my movies at my theater at about 6.5 - 6.8 usually. NO complaints.

Paramount will arrive shortly, to remove all of your prints.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 06:55 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually screen all my movies and I set the fader setting for each of them.
Usually they run at 6.5/7. In my case Star Trek is being shown at 7.3

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just got a re-broadcast of the fax, now asking us to play it at "7 on the Dolby Fader." They must have realized that the original fax was becoming a joke on the industry's pre-eminent projection site.

However, what if you have DTS or heaven forbid, SDDS? I think we need another fax.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-19-2009 03:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if I have an Ultra-Stereo processor?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 05:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
We just got a re-broadcast of the fax, now asking us to play it at "7 on the Dolby Fader." They must have realized that the original fax was becoming a joke on the industry's pre-eminent projection site.

Yes... and now that they've made that correction, I fully understand what they're requesting, and will make a concerted effort to confirm my fader setting is at "7"... thereby sending a little more, or maybe less to the 20 bands of digital processing circuits that make up the front end box in my FM sound system. Surely, my customers will appreciate the nuanced difference the change, if necessary, will make to their evening's enjoyment.

The producers may rest easy, knowing this concern will assure that my customers will hear everything, from the loudest explosion down to the softest Tribble "coo".

What teamwork!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 05:02 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
What if I have an Ultra-Stereo processor?
Then you need to push that Simplex down a bit more in that rubbish bin and make some room. [Razz]

quote:
assuming their air conditioner isn't running!
Why would they have air conditioning on? Surely you pipe it to each car. [Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 05:04 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Then you need to push that Simplex down a bit more in that rubbish bin and make some room.
Good one!

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 05:05 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
They must have realized that the original fax was becoming a joke on the industry's pre-eminent projection site.
Could you direct me to that site? I like jokes. [Razz]

I don't have Star Trek, but I have very rarely ever had a print that I could run at 7. When I first started in projection a couple years ago, I used the CP650 in the big house at that theater as a benchmark for changing mixes over time. My first few months, I was running a lot of things at 6.5 or so, but over the next several months I had to turn the fader preset down on average, to the point where when I left a last year, the thing was at 5.5-5.6 for most movies (Wall-E being a notable exception, I played it at 6.5). So, as unscientific as that is, I find it pretty compelling evidence that in just that space of time, prints were mixed increasingly poorly on average, and when someone wanted to mix it right (Pixar), they did.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 06:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the matter of personal taste. I enjoy seeing movies in our theatre at 7, I think it sounds great that way although the dialogue is a bit louder than I think it needs to be. So we run everything usually around 6 or 6.2 which seems to be a happy medium. I don't think we've ever gotten a "too soft" complaint.

I do remember running Wall-E at 7 - and will try it on the Trek movie this weekend.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: