Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Photography tips for the projection room

Author Topic: Photography tips for the projection room
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-12-2009 07:41 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently started playing around with photography as a hobby. I was hoping some of you might have some tips for taking pictures in the projection room during operating hours. Specifically when your main source of lighting is from the projector bulb or overhead can lights.

Some specific subjects I have in mind are plattered prints - both moving and stationary. Projector/soundhead - both stopped and operating, as well as other equipment. High quality images of make/model plates would also be a plus.

I've seen some nice images of actual film stock. Are these usually captured with a light box?

I know that many of these can be captured well with the automatic settings, but I'm trying to learn how to properly compose photos myself.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2009 09:50 AM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin, I'm sure others can tell you ways to capture it correctly but if you have time and a digital, you should just shoot and shoot, try angles and lighting changes, if you have manual controls mess with them, you might find that your best photos aren't done by the book...i'd recommend a tripod though if you are shooting in low light...i don't own one but a gorilla pod might be good for a booth, attaching to various bits of conduit and equipment for nice angles and stability

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2009 02:01 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use exisitng light, no flash, stop the lens down to f11, long exposure, 200 ASA, use a good solid tripod like a Gitzo, use a wide angle lens like an 11mm and be patient, set time aside to do it.

Maybe script it before you go - make your mind up what you want to capture.

Here are some of my own examples at the bottom of this page: http://biografmuseet.dk/festival/2008_imperial_bio/galleri/index.htm

Also some here: http://biografmuseet.dk/news/2009/imperial_galleri/index.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: