Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » amp/speaker recomendations? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: amp/speaker recomendations?
Richard B. Perrine
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2009 09:30 AM      Profile for Richard B. Perrine   Email Richard B. Perrine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're looking at re-opening a closed theater. auditoriums are about 300 seats or less.
It needs sound systems....What speaker makes/models and amplifiers do you prefer for digital sound?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-11-2009 12:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go QSC

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-11-2009 03:59 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte has it..QSC's stuff is awesome and not all that costly. Their stage speakers are super great sounding (I haven't had a chance to try their surrounds out yet) and the DCM/DCA Monitor amp combo is hard to beat for ease of wiring and operation. Note that the new DCM-10 will allow you to use passive crossovers in your stage speakers if you don't want to Bi-amp or tri-amp right out of the box.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-11-2009 07:02 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But... Klipsch is the market leader!

quote:
One out of two new theaters [Regal] use Klipsch professional audio speakers to deliver today’s powerful and detailed movie soundtracks
I'm just messin' with ya. [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-11-2009 08:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh god, for a minute there I thought you were being serious David!

Klipsch = [puke]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-11-2009 10:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"They made my guitar go in a straight line for miles and sound like it was coming out of a telephone."

- Steve Miller on Klipshorns

(I don't have an opinion on the sound quality; I just liked that quote. Most of my movie-watching has been in houses with JBL, Altec, or Electro-Voice speakers.)

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2009 11:40 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EV, halfway to EVIL! Have lots of spares ready! HAHAHAHA We love our JBL speakers and have a love/hate relationship with our Ashley amps, the sound is great, but they often require replacement mods.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-13-2009 11:53 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's ASHLY, no E.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-14-2009 05:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More like just "ASH" as in what they leave speakers in.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-14-2009 08:25 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
More like just "ASH" as in what they leave speakers in.
And how! The level pots and crapo switches they use in them also suck big time!!

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-15-2009 01:35 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about pain in the ASH..

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2009 10:15 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like my Ashlys. They've performed well for me from
a sound output standpoint. I also like the front panel LED
bar graphs, which let me see at a glance that everything
"appears" to be functioning properly. But I suppose there are
other amps that have that feature too.

quote:
The level pots and crapo switches they use in them also suck big time!!
On the other hand, I can't deny that I haven't had occasional
trouble with the pots on the input modules. I don't know why
Ashly didn't spend a few more bucks and use better ones or
ones that are sealed.

Other than actually changing the pots, a good spray with a
good sealer/protective contact lubricant, such as Cramolin,
(the good stuff- before they changed to the new wimpy
enviromentally safe formula) seems to more or less solve
the problem "permanantly", since after doing that I've
never had any further problems with the pots being noisy
or crapping out all together.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-16-2009 10:25 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than the amount of heat some of the older ones generate we have had very good luck over all with the Ashleys we have in service

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-16-2009 04:30 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ashly input modules are not too bad. The crossover modules did have bad switches and pots. We have hard wired enough of them to fill a shoebox with old parts.

I am running 550 new XR-1 crossovers to replace many in service. Will work with JBL 4575, 4670, and the combo unit we used with National Amusements. 700Hz crossover. These are not adjustable so other speakers will not be right. Louis

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2009 05:46 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I`m 87 years old and don`t go out after dark, it seems some things never change,according to these posts;Klipsch is still crap.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: