Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Face Audio amplifiers for cinema? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Face Audio amplifiers for cinema?
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 12:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're specing out new equipment for a sound system upgrade.
Our dealer is telling me he would like to use amplifiers from a company called Face Audio.

http://www.faceaudio.com/

We have one of these amplifiers in use elsewhere in the theater but it is not being used in the cinema system. It is nice, it looks good, it sounds decent and it seems to do the job. Our dealer tells me he can get a good price.

The thing is, I've never used Face Audio amplifiers before.

Has anybody else heard of them or used them?

What are your thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 01:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice if they had a terminal strip for inputs
Also they seem a little on the deep side for some of the shallower racks

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 01:45 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stick with Ashly, Crown, and QSC. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-08-2009 02:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll condense Louis' list down...stick with QSC or Lab-Gruppen. Crowns WILL fail on you and most are not great sounding. Ashley...blow way too many drivers...take it from a reconer.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2009 03:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll condense Steven's list down further to help you in your decision.

QSC

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 04:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crest are descent as well
What make and model of amps are in the permenant rig for live theatre use
It might be wise to go with the same make and model if the powerpoint is right to make them interchangable in the event of a failure during a show

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 05:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The amps in place now are Crest. Very old Crest. More than 12 years old. They are dropping like flies. That's why we are replacing them.

When the house sound system gets replaced I am hoping to replace the cinema system too.

That's why our guy is suggesting the Face Audio amplifiers. He wants to put Face in the house system and wants to make the cinema amps all the same.

Like I said, we have a couple of them but they are not installed. We have them in road cases and we use them for run-outs or situations where we have to set up a sound system on short notice. They look and they seem to sound good. We have had them in use for a couple of years and we haven't had any problems. I just don't have the experience with them like I have QSC.

QSC is what I have been suggesting.

Unless I can come up with some concrete answers, it's probably going to be the Face Audio amps.

So I suppose nobody else has any direct experience either?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-08-2009 06:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of reliability, Lab-Gruppen probably has the best name in amps right now...I can't tell you how many folks that have told me nothing but great things about them...never a bad tale.

QSC is certainly a rock-solid cinema amp (DCA series) and is certainly our "standard" amp.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lab-Gruppen look really nice!

But, if the prices I looked up on the internet are any indication of the street price, my boss will have a heart attack when he sees the bill! [Eek!]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 08:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fully agree: QSC's

..but...

This situation that Randy is facing is one area that I've faced before, and it really makes one want to walk away and let them fall on their face for not taking constructive suggestions on the best products for the buck.

We who are hired as in-house technicians/engineers to certain companies, face the one thing that can ire us to no end: Since we work with the stuff and have first knowledge, it seems that the people who we work for refuses to take our suggestions on the premise that these people don't like to be shown up as ignorant people, even though they know that we are right in our own mind since we have proven fact of the units/equipment that we (have) work(ed) with...and all we are doing is to get the best equipment in there for their buck on the sake of longetivity and quality since we care about our trade and field...and to the people we work for.

They simply want to do it their way - no questions asked.

Good luck, Randy .. hope things can work out in the best for you.

-Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 09:21 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take them only if they are free. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 09:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree. Obviously, there is a money factor in play here and unfortuate, we think expensive and high quality, and the owners are thinking pennies to the dollar that they want to spend and get away with just satisfactory results.

If that's the case, "RAT-Shack" would have been rolling in the dough of the cheap junk they sold that was labeled 'quality'.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 11:20 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will add that, all things considered, I think QSC is a very good choice.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2009 02:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From The 'About us" page on theor web site...

quote:
With over 150 employees on staff in Asia
Tahst all the convincing I need not to ever use them. Of course thats why they're cheap... They're built with slave labor!

Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-09-2009 07:43 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aah! "Face"... An ancient Chinese word for "crap!" [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: