Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problems with a simplex 5 star soundhead

Author Topic: Problems with a simplex 5 star soundhead
Jeremy M Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 02:33 AM      Profile for Jeremy M Smith   Email Jeremy M Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have having problems with the Lateral Guide roller. The problem is that it is getting to close to the sound drum witch is stopping it from bouncing back to where it is suppose to be so my Lateral position is out of line and when I adjust it the Lateral Guide roller jams.

Has anyone had this problem before. Any theory this appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 03:37 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried to shoot light oil the pivot point of that main arm? Sometimes, if that can't pivot freely, this can be a problem.

Jeremy M Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 05:17 AM      Profile for Jeremy M Smith   Email Jeremy M Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for your reply I have sprayed crc and didn't make a difference I would love to be able to take the Lateral Guide roller off and try the same but my readers are in the way :-( and with no oscilloscope it is kind of hard to realign them if i move them.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you take the reader and focus block out together you should be able to put it back the way it came out with no change in position.

What type reader?

The whole assembly could be stuck or maybe assembled wrong. Also, make sure the sound drum is all the way inward and does not have end play. You should be able to pull on it and have it return to its inward position if the thrust washers are installed and the shaft is not frozen.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 11:43 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, most likely in order to fix this you are going to have to pull the lateral guide assembly off. The two screws that hold the shaft into place could have come loose and the two bearings may also be giving you problems.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 01:52 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The top part of the arm has a big cracking problem. Many time the crack puts the roller so far out of line that it jams on the drum. Alternatively, it is possible that someone assembled the roller backwards so you get a jam. Louis

Jeremy M Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2009 12:04 AM      Profile for Jeremy M Smith   Email Jeremy M Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for all the replys the assemably block has two screws to hod it there don't know why I didn't see that the first time. The bearings where shot maybe I did something wrong last time I overhald the lateral guide roller because those are only about 6 months old.

Everything is back to normal thanks guys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: