Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Prints of Star Trek (2009) are locked..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Prints of Star Trek (2009) are locked.....
Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2009 03:16 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just picked up ST from the warehouse, can 2 (reels 4-7) is locked. Can 1 is open with trailers and reels 1-3. Code available 8 AM EST thursday, yet there are 7 pm shows nationwide. Odd that ETS hasn't e-mailed theatres yet.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2009 04:29 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
How many digits on that lock? did you try 1701?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-05-2009 05:12 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours came standard boxed on cores with code name. Odds in one box and evens in the other.

It's built ready to go.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2009 05:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 digits, 1701 didnt work. I knew i'd try that first.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2009 07:44 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a print for a preview screening last week
and posted in the the "Features & Attachments" forum
that BOTH cans of the the print I got were locked.

When I first got my print it occured to me to try
the code suggested above just for fun and of course
it didn't work, but it was worth a try.

The actual unlock code turned out to be nowhere
near that number, and has no numerical significance
to anything Star Trek related, as far as I can tell.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2009 07:57 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, and the code for Benj Button was 2020, no significance to that film either. I'm sure its a completely random number, but if everyone tries their print number, someone should get a huge surprise.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-05-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter. The Aussies have already begun the bootleg process!!! [Eek!]

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2009 08:37 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats ok, Paramount put in a concentrated dose of Swine Flu in all aussie prints.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-05-2009 08:40 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, obviously we're just much more trustworthy. [Razz]

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2009 12:47 AM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they still using the same crummy masterlock that can be unlocked with an appropriately trimmed piece of film?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-06-2009 09:49 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the set of people who know how to shim or decode Master 175 or Sesame -style locks is smaller than the set of people who own bolt cutters, there's not much reason to avoid these locks.

(And I submit the set of such people is substantially smaller than the set of people with bolt cutters.)

--jhawk

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2009 09:52 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Althaus
Code available 8 AM EST thursday, yet there are 7 pm shows nationwide.
Big deal! I didn't get my code until two hours before my
screening last week. And I had three other prints to make
up and two to break down the same night.

I'm not whining, since this stuff occasionally happens
in this line of work, but I'd have been REALLY HAPPY to
get the code 11hrs beforehand. 11hrs seems like more
than enough time to make up a print, even if you have
other stuff to do. Or am I missing something?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-06-2009 10:01 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The standards for revenue screenings are not the same advance screenings. Advance screenings, trade screenings, sneak previews, etc. are all expected to be at the last minute. That's why they pay us the big bucks [Cool] .

The problems with an 8am day-of delivery are:
  • It may be impractical to pre-screen the print if all houses are in use during the day on Thursday.
  • If the normal workflow is to build the night before the show, then someone has to spend extra time.
  • With less than 24-hours between inspection and screening, there may not be time to get replacement reels before the revenue show.
Of course, it's easy to say "suck it up." But since recently codes have been available more than 24hrs in advance, this does look like a step backwards. That said, if I had early shows on Thursday evening, I'd call DFS today and ask for the code. Worst is they say No.
--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-06-2009 11:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bear in mind also Paramount is asking for their prints to be damaged. MANY theaters have a daytime guy who is just a "threader". He could put a movie together if you forced him to, but he would futz it up and damage the print to some extent, because he is just the daytime guy and he doesn't do it every week. Meanwhile it seems most of the "evening" staff are the experienced ones, but if they don't arrive until a 6pm shift change...oh well, many prints WILL get damaged before they ever see their first show!

I still say anyone who wants to pirate this movie will do so tonight after hours and have it on the internet in the morning, vs. having done it last night and it being available today. One day, big deal. The revenue difference from the first to the second day is NOT the billions the MPAA wants to believe is lost, but whatever.

Fortunately I have quality "daytime" people. [Cool]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-06-2009 04:13 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't it all seem rather silly though even having the locks at all...considering mine is just sitting in the corner waiting to run and came in Monday night in two cardboard boxes?

I'm not saying I want locks, but come on...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: