Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » unidentifiable equipment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: unidentifiable equipment
Laura Jean Kahl
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 03:42 PM      Profile for Laura Jean Kahl   Author's Homepage   Email Laura Jean Kahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have a broken shaft from the brake side of our rewind bench. neumade and kelmar say the piece isn't theirs. i think this might have been a specially made piece by a projectionist/machinist, who built the booth, that has since passed away. does any one recognize this piece? any suggestions for repairs?

-

-

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 04:46 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like Neumade parts were used for that. Interesting that Neumade claims it isn't their's...maybe they don't support those tables anymore?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2009 07:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like an old version of the PRT table that Neumade still makes - but now the PRT-Ultra.

Prob have to convert that table to the PRT-Ultra with newer parts.

Look at this *.pdf file to give you an idea.

[ 04-28-2009, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 08:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have something similar that I think might work.

Tried to post a picture but I cant get the upload feature to work.

Contact offsite thru email if interested.

[ 04-29-2009, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan M. Crist ]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-28-2009 08:58 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a Neumade table, but it's missing a collar. It looks like someone made a part without it.

A overall picture of the entire table would help. It looks like it might be a mix of parts from a PRT and a PRT Ultra.

Look at the drawing on page 3 pdf the pdf that Monty linked. That's your table's dead side spindle but missing the larger collar.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-29-2009 06:30 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Def. standard part; we stock the current shaft and reel end at Hadden. Louis

[ 04-29-2009, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Louis Bornwasser ]

Gregory N. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 08:49 AM      Profile for Gregory N. Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Gregory N. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with John W, a bigger picture of the entire table would help.

I can say for certain that is not our spindle. We use the locking fingers at the end, not that spear shape. Also, the key in the picture looks like it was made of round bar stock, our keys are flat punched out CRS with nickel plate.

Going WAY back now, it could be an old Jamison spindle but not sure if that is our table.

Gregg

Laura Jean Kahl
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2009 01:43 AM      Profile for Laura Jean Kahl   Author's Homepage   Email Laura Jean Kahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bench
 -

motor
 -

broken
 -

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-07-2009 06:21 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears to me that PRT Ultra parts will fit: 2 parts, really. The supply side shaft and any suitable reel end shaft. Louis

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-07-2009 02:32 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg would know better than I, but it looks like several different parts put together. The metal table frame looks like an older Neumade table (going by the two drawers) but someone added the newer formica table top - I don't think Neumade ever made table tops with rounded corners. The speed control doesn't look like anything Neumade did, but if it's really old who knows? No Neumade tables had a motor on the top as in the picture (not including intergrated motor/spindles like the Super X.) All in all, it looks like someone cobbled together different parts, but did do a good job.

I seem to remember seeing some drawings that indicated the very first PRT tables did not have (what Neumade called) the 'EZ' spindles, whch meant they were changeable for 1/2 in 5/16 etc.

The spindles still look like they are from a PRT table. This is the bad news/good news; You could get everything working again but would have to buy all new spindle parts. This would also give you the 'EZ' changable spindles. I think most of the spindle parts are still avaiable.

Or bring the broken shaft to a machine shop and just have them make another.

Laura Jean Kahl
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2009 05:18 PM      Profile for Laura Jean Kahl   Author's Homepage   Email Laura Jean Kahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
going to a machinist was my fist instinct, but the people who pay the bills around here wanted me to find an "official" answer before i go out into the world of independent contracting

thanks for the input guys!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-07-2009 06:59 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Admittedly a bit off the subject....but has any rewind manufacture ever rigged the autotransformer /speed control up to a geared foot pedel? I have an old 16mm unit that has no nameplate (possibly Griswals or Neuman), and it has a reheostat type control built into a foot pedel; it was quite a nifty design. I thought it made a lot of sense as it gives you both hands free in the event that you have to quickly stop the rewind, unlike the popular Kelmar and Neumade rewinds where you have to take one of your hands away from the reels to grab the speed control -- seconds that can change the success or not of a needed quick stop. Just wondering.

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2009 07:47 PM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought.... Just use an old spool arm (if you have one) - ok it wouldn't be a matching pair, but it'll get you out of trouble. Or atleast until you fix the other.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-07-2009 08:23 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note to Laura: You could have a machine shop make another spindle, but if it (or other parts) break again, it could get expensive. However, if you use the table lightly that might be a good way to go. On the other hand, if you invest some money in all the PRT reel end replacement parts, you would then have 'standard' parts you could just buy.

Note to Frank: Neumade supplied several different foot-operated speed controls, from an old monster rehostat design I saw in drawings to SCR types. You can get the Super X with an SCR type. They seem to have fallen out of favor, though.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 03:06 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we have foot pedals on both our Neumade and our HFC rewinds. They're awesome! Everyone should have them!

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: