Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-500 & 4-Track Mag (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: CP-500 & 4-Track Mag
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2009 12:56 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've looked at the operating manual and can't find anything about 35mm 4 track mag. I see the instructions about 70mm 6 track. Will there be a problem running 35mm 4 track with a CP500?
Thanks for your help.

Don

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2009 01:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure it'll work but you'll have to do the surround switching/filtering in the MPU for sure. Just run the MPU outputs into the L,C,R,S inputs(DB connector) of the 500 and build a special format to rurn off the NR(if necessary). Just like feeding in a DTS or DA-20.

I don't know if it's actually worth the effort to be honest... I owned alot of 1950's/60's 35mm MAG prints including one of "Music Man" over the years and none of them were the least bit impressive. Not till the very end of 35mm mag(wasn't it one of the Barbera Streisand's movies) was the sound at all decent.

I have a brand new Teccon 4 track head for a reasonable price if anyone is interested in it. I believe it was for a JJ but it could be adapted pretty easily to other machines.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-25-2009 02:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP500 has several 4-track mag canned formats. I'm pretty sure format 23 (NR) is one of them...IF you have a CP500/70 in order to get the 4 channels of "A-type" noise reduction.

Mark is right, any surround switching will need to be done by the MPU or other filtering.

Note too, the CP500 is looking for 388mV from its "Mag Input" like the CP65...stupid as the 300mV standard was already there.

As to the sound of 35mm 4-track...I've seen a great many set up poorly...well done it is quite impressive as compared to its mono-optical counterpart. With NR, it is definitely superior to anything SVA ever had.

Most people don't realize how much better 16mm Mag is over 16mm optical...it is pretty night and day there too.

Generally, what I find with many that try to play 4-track in modern theatres with X-curve EQs are very over-bright sounding tracks. If you apply suitable filtering to impose the academy curve onto the output of the preamps, before hitting the cinema processor (and presumming not using NR, of course)...you have a very pleasing sounding track that, despite the roll-offs imposed by the aforementioned filters, will be full of highs and lows.

Steve

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2009 02:28 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark and Steve for your help. I'm using the Dolby MPU-1 (with the surround switching card) now so I assume it will work equally well with the CP-500.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-25-2009 03:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep...it will work...particularly if you have the Cat 92Cs to get the gain.

Note, the Cat 93 was a so-so switch card...while it did the switching just fine...it doesn't really kill the 12KHz tone...just knocks it down a peg. That tone should really be nailed with a notch filter (and I mean like 60dB or more) and on top of that, put a LPF at around 8KHz...at least 2nd order...it will knock down the hiss and the tone a bit more. With those filters...one almost never needs to switch the track on/off anymore!

Steve

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2009 04:14 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve...that's good to know.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-25-2009 05:44 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic, but ... how bad really was the mag surround track on 35mm? It doesn't seem that much bigger than the screen channels. Or was the idea that the screen channels would generally have something going on all the time to bury any noise, while the surrounds would have extended periods of no audio?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early stuff is not much better than AM radio John... Because of the X curve and thats about all those early heads(and RCA speakers)could do. It's possible with a Teccon head and a nice Dolby or Teccon head end system that response with pink noise and so on to go out to 10 to 12 khz consistantly.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-25-2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the response from 4-track from a modern system can easily go out to 16KHz...I've set up enough recently to know.

For early systems...it is actually much better than Mark states. The prints were mixed to the theatres of the day since they didn't have much in the way of "sound warping" circuits. As such, when they are played back on modern systems...they are very strident. They also sound thin on a modern system. However, when played back on a system of the era in a theatre of the era, they actually are dramatically better than optical sound. There is a lot of pre-emphasis clearly put into the mixes and due to the boominess of the theatres of that era...not as much bass.

Seriously...if you put an academy filter on one of those tracks before you play it back in a modern theatre...they are really quite good. They don't have the bass of a modern track, for sure but dialog is every bit as easy to understand (maybe more so with the way folks mix today) and they panned the dialog around back then...which for me is a superior method than mere mono dialog...very distracting.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-25-2009 08:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will find not much above 7k on older prints without nr. I concur that 16-20k was possible. Unfortunately there was not much hf on mag better than optical. (5db down at 5k for optical; 7db down at 7k for magnetic) It was thought that hf was "bad" and so was just not mixed.

I "wide banded" an old Ampex system for "Ryan's Daughter." The film sounded exactly the same, but the hiss was high fidelity. Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-26-2009 12:52 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Not till the very end of 35mm mag(wasn't it one of the Barbera Streisand's movies)
The film was "Yentyl" (not sure I spelled that right) I had to do a few mag tune-ups when I was with RCA Service for that film.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I have a brand new Teccon 4 track head for a reasonable price if anyone is interested in it.
Mark, you got any 6-track 70mm for Simplex or Century available? Shoot me a PM or phone call if you do. [Big Grin]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-26-2009 12:57 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Mark G. turns out to be a closet Streisand fan. Somehow, I am not surprised...but did we really have to find out in this way?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-26-2009 02:49 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot on Michael! I was just thinking the same thing as I was listening to Ella/Louis Armstrong "Autumn in New York" recording looking at my tulips.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2009 04:45 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam I didn't know you were a flower man!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-26-2009 10:49 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was too good to pass up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: