Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong switcher problem

Author Topic: Strong switcher problem
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-19-2009 08:12 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a strange problem with a Strong switcher. It's one of the newer, grey ones with the status LED's, mounted in a Highlight II console. It turns itself on, even when the control wires are open. It acts as if the solid state relay control input has such a high impedance, any electrical noise is enough to turn it on. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2009 09:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SSR is more than likely shorted. I've had it happen several times. It's an off the shelf part... I think we even stock them.

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-20-2009 12:35 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Mark's right..I had one, BRAND NEW from Ballenswine, that did that. (Stand by for Tim to get upset now that I've attacked his company again) [Roll Eyes]

To their credit though, they did replace it right away after giving a bit of flack about how I'd wired it wrong and caused it.

Just curious John, did you just buy it or has it been in service for a while? And what is the serial number? Want to make sure they didn't send you the one I'd sent back.
[Big Grin]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-20-2009 08:04 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was acting up for awhile before; it would turn on by itself. Recently it started to also shut off by is self for a few seconds, then come back on. I don't really see how anyone could wire it wrong. There are only three wires involved and from what I can tell if it's wired wrong it just won't work, ie, it wouldn't get damaged.

Don't know how long this one has been in service; it looks pretty new. The sticker has; '6200000 Series V2R' 'Serial #RM042610808' There's a check in the box for option '0016'.

I'm going there today to dig into to that thing and get the number of the relay to replace it. They are cheap, at least compared to a new power supply. These p/s have been pretty reliable, even the older ones (over 12 years old) have lasted.

Thanks!

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-20-2009 02:21 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
'Serial #RM042610808'
Danger Will Robinson!!!

That serial number tells me that is was a unit that was returned and repaired..no wonder.

Anyone want to take bets that Wrong charged them full price for it too?

[fu]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-21-2009 06:30 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, opened this thing up. There isn't a solid state relay module in it. It looks like they rolled their own and just designed a 'relay' in along with the rest of the electronics.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-21-2009 02:48 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, what you should find is a red/orange (or black), flattened triangle looking block with six screw terminals and two wire leads coming out of it. That's the Triac block that acts as the power relay...

I've got pictures of the insides of the one I had trouble with..I'll try to find them and edit this to post those pics...

If you've found a heavy-duty contactor in it, then someone's already been at it...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-21-2009 04:37 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Tony; No nothing like what you describe. The only thing like that is a 3-phase rectifier- block thingy, located next to that twist lock plug. It's got a little picture of 6 diodes showing how it is wired.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-27-2009 04:07 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that device have any extra terminals or wires sticking out of it? If so, that's the culprit.

I can't find my pics of the internals of that supply I sent back.... [Frown]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-27-2009 08:28 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, pretty sure there was just the 3-phase 'goesinto' and the two DC 'comesoutta.' They must have designed their own SSR and placed it on the board with everything else. The PS was sent back to see it's creator, after I put all those screws back in!

They are nice; small and light, but I still think I'd rather have a regular old type power supply. You can work on them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: