Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Eprad Mut dancer arm oscillation

Author Topic: Eprad Mut dancer arm oscillation
Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 04-17-2009 05:12 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone.

My Eprad double mut I have here is doing some strange stuff and I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help.
The problem appears intermittant and random. Both feed and payouts work ok upon starting a show, even with 42" spools, but once going, the takeup dancer arm starts to oscillate for no apparant reason. When the oscillation starts, there is usually a loud "clunk" from the takeup gearmotor on acceleration and the ballast lamp lights brightly for a few seconds. The gearmotor then slows down, then accelerates and the cycle continues, each time the oscillations reducing in amplitude until it settles down and runs ok for about 2-3 minutes where the cycle start over. Payout is not affected and runs fine and dandy.

So, where do I start?
Ive cleaned the variac windings and wiper, tightened up the chain to the variac shaft, adjusted the cam so it activates just on the cam-rise and checked the ballast lamps- both of which are fine. I have found a bit of lateral play in the variac shaft, maybe this could be the cause?

What would cause the dancers to start oscillating? Would the "clunk" coming from the gearmotor indicate a stuffed gearmotor?

Im not sure if the electro-caps have been changed, or even if this could be responsible for this problem. Ill change them anyway.

This things starting to worry me.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
Cheers
Ian

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-17-2009 06:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Parfrey
So, where do I start?

Those General Electric gear motors don't last forever, not even 50 years and they are NLA. I've seen both the gears wear out and the comutators wear to the point that the brushes(or whats left of them) are riding in a groove. Your best bet is to install Digital Cinema... At least those now common 2K intermediate files will look good projected digitally... they look dismal when put on film.

Cheers!

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-17-2009 06:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A local gear shop should be able to make new gears for them

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 04-18-2009 05:03 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it's fair odds that its the motor itself and not the control gear? It's strange to watch it running fine for a few minutes then have it oscillate for no apparent reason.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-18-2009 05:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take the motor to a reputable motor shop and have them check it over... you have to start sosmewhere and the comutator is the biggest wear spot on older itels like this. Also check the brushes on the variac. Poor brush contact or a broken brush can cause it to oscillate like you are seeing... those are still avilable new if it is bad...

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-18-2009 12:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disconnect the load on the variac and connect an AC voltmeter and run the dancer up and down and there should be a very smooth voltage change if it has dropouts it is either dirt or a burnt area on the variac

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-18-2009 12:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a Kinoton SPT5000K.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-19-2009 01:57 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my long ago past, I seem to recall the lamp inside coming loose (unscrewing) and giving the results you mention. Make sure it's tight in the socket.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-19-2009 06:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is not the motor. Take apart the speed control unit. There are 2 issues:

1. lubricate (with silicon) the variac shaft after cleaning

2. the cam is very asymetrical. The steepness of the "on" is hard to operate compared to the "off." Cut a different angle with a side cutter, then readjust as you have already done. Of course, check the motor brushes, but you trouble is most likely in the speed unit. If in doubt, reverse them and see if problems move. Louis

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 09:53 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have Eprad Swords.
I had a very similar problem recently.
The problem turned out to the the cam shaft itself.
The shaft had worn down and had become too thin and started slipping when the cam activated, causing an out of time condition like it does when the cam it out of adjustment.
I replaced the whole cam and all is well.

Before I figured out what exactly the problem was, I would have to grab the reel when the arm hit its low point, stopping the reel long enough for it to equalize. But over time, even this didn't work and the arm would just randomly drop in the middle of the show.
The problem was really bad when re-winding. I could only rewind slowly at first, because the arm would not equalize and stay up.

I don't have any more spare cams, but Louis may have some.
Or he may be able to create some.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: