Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » flatbed optical film sound recorder (with lightproof lid)?

Author Topic: flatbed optical film sound recorder (with lightproof lid)?
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2009 11:19 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curiuos is there or has been unless otherwise a flatbed style optical film sound recorder using a lightproof lid for operation in room light conditions? I'm familiar with the vertical & upright recorders but a flatbed style recorder?
The desciption would be taking the unexposed film into the room in a lighproof can or box,turning off the room lights except the safelights, adjusting the optical recording head with the lid open & using a pickup cell while adjusting for best optical sound recording quality then placing & threading the unexposed reel on the left hand plate,winding a few turns of it on the right hand plate & then closing the lid before turning on the room lights. The lid which has a lightproof gasket also has a dark tinted window to view the optical recording head while in operation but to prevent excessive light exposure.

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2009 11:59 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen such a configuration. You have to remember that many optical sound cameras, even those configured to shoot modern digital tracks are based on existing camera chassis that are 50 or more years old. Also, a film transport in a flatbed configuration takes up a lot more room than a veritcally oriented system. I suspect that may be another reason these systems were never constructed in such a way. Interesting question nonetheless. Have you ever read "The Audio Cyclopedia" by Howard Tremaine? It was recommended to me years ago when I first became fascinated with optical sound. http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Cyclopedia-Howard-M-Tremaine/dp/0672206757

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2009 04:14 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The optical recording head I'm referring to is the type an audio signal is fed to in order to record the soundtrack onto the unexposed film i.e. the variable slit mechanism in which the light passes through a horizontal slit then two vertical variable slits the audio is fed to.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-14-2009 09:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.mwa-nova.com/llk5.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: