Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projector Motor Power Consumption

Author Topic: Projector Motor Power Consumption
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2009 08:31 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on an electrical use study and I'm trying to get an accurate representation of the power used by a projection booth setup. I assume the lamp uses FAR more power than the projector motor but I want to include the motor's power consumption for accuracy. Does anybody know the typical power consumption of a projector motor? I can't find it in the manuals. The specific projectors in use are Centurys but I'm guessing that most projector motors would consume approximately the same power.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-10-2009 02:04 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lyle,

You can figure on about 3-4 amps per projector motor and be safe. Some run at a lower amperage and all have a peak starting current several times running current (it only lasts a second or two and is not significant to power calcs).

The actual running amps of identical make projector will vary slightly depending on the friction of the projector's gears, etc. and whether or not film is actually in the machine. [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-10-2009 02:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be aware that most electrical codes will require service and panel sizing based on breaker loading.
One is wise to have a seperate breaker for the motor so if it fails and trips the breaker it doesn't kill anything else
typicaly we size smaller theatres with 2K xenons as
1 15amp motor
1 15 amp platter
1 15 amp automation
2 20amp dimmers
1 15amp processors/digital (UPS feeding them
6 15 amplifiers
1 3 pole 30 amp rectifier
1 15 amp lamphouse
1 15amp cleaning lights
1 15amp booth lights
2 15amp raceway outlets
1 15amp booth outlets

the total cannot in many locations exceed 80% of the feeder size so that would mean approx 150amp per phase feed

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2009 02:55 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My measurements of a late model 35mm Christie set up is:
Fans(120v)only (at rest between shows) - 2.4 amps
Motor running (with above fans) - 6.7 amps (so net motor is 4.3 amps)
Lamp PS (3 ph) - 33.93amps ave per leg

If you are interested in digital (early Christie CP2000H):
DLP engine - 2.7 amps (208v same when showing picture or between shows)
Fans - 1.2 amps (fans are 208v and run constantly)
Lamp PS (3ph) - 34.3amps (ave per leg)
Screen server - 1.7amps (on 24/7)
TMS rack - 9.8amps (on 24/7)

Both lamphouses measured were running CXL-60 lamps and I forget what the lamp wattage was on each.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2009 03:17 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon's circuit loads are conservative and safe.

Be advised that most motors have nameplates as required by Code and industry practice that provide the information you are looking for.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2009 04:08 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind, breakers should be de-rated by 20% when factoring what size breaker should be sized for a given load.

A 30Amp breaker should be sized to equipment that has a 24Amp Load.

Also its good to make sure that you don't have major inductive loads on the same branch as a resistive load.

Breakers below 600Amps are not "continuous duty"

A good electrician should be able to size breaker and wire sizes appropriately for you.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-10-2009 07:59 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waitasec.
Lyle, are you asking about this for purposes of sizing wires, breakers, etc.? Or are you asking for purposes of estimating the cost to run booth in monthly utility charges?

Those two questions have very different answers, and you've gotten a mix of the two. The peak values are really important for somethings, but not so much for other things.

--jhawk

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
I'm working on an electrical use study
This first statement led me to beleive the idea is to estimate the cost of running the equipment.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-10-2009 08:58 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought too... but the others are on the right track in regards to Code issues and good design practice. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: