Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RE: Looking For Theater Installer

Author Topic: RE: Looking For Theater Installer
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2009 10:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd comment on this post in the help wanted thread since the post seems to also be chastizing a dealer whom I happen to know...

Since I know several of the guys at Bright Star and they are good guys I will tell you that its not at all uncommon for a local dealer to not want to install another dealer's gear, especially if it's an untested lot. Its better to buy your gear as rebuilt or new from that local dealer so you have his undivided support down the road when you run into trouble. Oh, and believe me trouble can cost you more then your booth does!

At CLACO we will install another dealers equipment but our labor rate is quite a bit higher for an untested lot then our normal rate. It will generally cost the customer alot of money in required parts just to get the equipment in top operational shape aside from the labor involved. We find that we generally still make as much, sometimes more, profit installing these "lots" of as-is equipment as we would be selling you new. Now we do on occasion aquire stuff from Dick and many other "used" sources but all the stuff is run through our shops and totally rebuilt before installation. At any rate good luck with your install, hopefully you'll get your place open on time...

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-06-2009 01:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
While normally I wouldn't let a response to another post live in the forums, Mark brings up an excellent bit of advice that a number of theater owners don't seem to consider, so I'll let this thread stay.

I've been down that road too many times before and I simply will not install equipment supplied by others any more. On almost every instance where I have done this there turned out to be major problems with the equipment that ended up costing me financially because I was not willing to leave the booth running in a situation where I knew it would be unreliable. Another few times I installed brand new equipment that was purchased through another dealer and when there ended up being manufacturing defects, I didn't have the authority to call up the manufacturer and get the parts I needed replaced and again the end user suffered.

To anyone contemplating opening a new theater or upgrading their equipment, always, always, ALWAYS buy the gear from whoever you will be contracting to install and service it down the road. Otherwise you are most probably setting yourself up for failure.

(And don't blame the Bright Star guys.)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-06-2009 06:53 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I agree on this one...it is almost NEVER a happy outcome when the equipment does not come from the installer and that is probably 100% of the time when it comes to used crap.

At least with new stuff...one can set up what-ifs a bit better and place ALL of the burden on the theatre owner to supply working equipment or suffer the consequences. Odds are, there will be missing/non functioning stuff the owner can go back to the dealer on to correct.

With used, it gets to be much more sticky a situation as to what is deemed acceptable and just what warranty, if any is included.

You've made your bed...time to sleep in it.

Steve

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-06-2009 10:09 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great points.

I've only had a service company in a booth of mine once. That was when I leased an old quad indoor and didn't have the time or test equipment (then) to set it up the way I wanted it to be when I opened.

Many of you remember the late Vern Klingman. He took that booth full of mixed-vintage gear and made it sing. I never questioned his bill. Paul Thompson made an occasional visit there, and added his stamp of approval to Vern's work.

Otherwise, I've always bought, installed, fixed and taken responsibility for my own. It hasn't always been with the kind of results some of you would insist on, but in the long haul, it's worked for me.

Having dealt with this exact situation in broadcasting, where I've had to install, then continuously repair transmitters bought from used equipment brokers, I can agree 100% with Brad and Mark on this one. Unfortunately, the equipment's performance becomes (in the owners' minds) a reflection on YOUR qualifications, regardless what its previous history might have been.

No, thanks! [fu]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-06-2009 12:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be like buying front end auto parts at NAPA, or even junk yard parts and having Schucks installing them for you...not gonna happen.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-06-2009 04:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hadden Theatre Supply could not agree more with Mark's system: Charge enough to regain your lost profit and do a credible job no matter how much.

There ARE installing dealers who won't touch anything not purchased from them.

We charge EXTRA for other people's woes; and further, the job isn't finished until WE are happy. Many times this is far in excess of what the customer says he wants. Inappropriate equipment, we simply won't touch.

We do sell equipment that will be installed by others. Many times the installer is overjoyed that it is equipment from us. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: