Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is this automation system?

Author Topic: What is this automation system?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-03-2009 05:24 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I built up a print of I Love You, Man this morning. The print still had the cues from the previous theatre. I don't recall seeing these before so I was hoping someone could help me identify they automation system.

At each cue position there were two foil strips placed side by side lengthwise down the film with an identical set on the opposite side of the film. This was followed by another set about 18" later.

For the start of feature they were in the middle of the film, for the start of credits they were on right side (non-soundtrack side) just inside the perforations, and for the end of show they were on the left side just inside the perforations.

What really annoyed me is these cues were very difficult to remove from the film. I probably spent 10+ minutes removing the old cues.

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2009 07:09 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had Xetron and Orcon automation that used inbound cues for lights and Dolby switch-on and the outboard side for Changeover (closing dowser and canceling film alarm on Orcon's film break alarm system. The Xetron Mini-7's automation at the Mann's Fox also used cues on the outboard side to activate changeover. I had assumed this was "normal" until I started working at my current theatre where Inbound was changeover.
The sensing rollers on the automation with the Xetrons and the Orcons demanded the sensing tape be wrapped around the film to be read. These were lower tech rollers than the electronic failsafes use now, like the FM-35, where the cues must be flat over the sprocket area on the emulsion side of the print.
Do the Speco failsafes require the cues to be wrapped around the edge of the print? They looks similar to the Xetron failsafes of 25 years ago...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-03-2009 10:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a stock Christie 3Q automation system with a CE TA-10 attachment since the Christie only has three sequences.

Three cues were placed with: one placed on soundtrack side for dowser up (show start), one cue center of frame (feature cue) for lights dim and cue opposite soundtrack for lights bright (credit cue) and another outboard cue on rating tag for dowser drop for end of show.

The TA-10 works with the 3Q to have half bright during trailers since it adds more sequences to the 3Q setup.

The two side-by-side cues at the beginning of the credits brings the lights to full bright.

Wait until you get a print where someone uses a paper punch to punch out cue tin foil dots on these same placements ... and you think you got it hard removing those lengthy ones.. those dot ones are a pain to find..

-Monte

Patrick Watkinson
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2009 01:07 AM      Profile for Patrick Watkinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could also be Component Engineering's FM-35 Cue Detector/Failsafe system. Their cues read inboard, outboard, center and across all 3 but do not need to be lengthy which is a pain to find if you get the print 2nd hand.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-04-2009 02:26 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and the C.E. FM35 can also work with the automation system that I mentioned above. It's basically like the SPECO failsafe system that Christie uses on their P35 units - same three pickup coils to read separately to all.

Just that the C.E. TA-10 works with the stock 3Q system to offer more options.

These failsafe systems can work with any automation.

It all depends what the automation needs to operate and control lights and show presentation - why and how the cues are placed on the film.

I've ran across tonnage of different cueing arrangements on prints that it's quite interesting how each manufacturer of the cue readers have their own way to tell the automation how to perform a show - from "Opticues" to "z-bar" coding.

-Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-04-2009 07:34 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like whatever cue detector/autmationthey had had issues reading cues if they had to put them on twice

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: