Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » sond on memory sticks or cards synced to cine film projectors (large format & 35mm)

Author Topic: sond on memory sticks or cards synced to cine film projectors (large format & 35mm)
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2009 09:24 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a qusetion & idea being that having the sound for a 35mm or large format feature stored on a memory stick or card synced to a projector besides the mag 35mm full coat audio source. I'm familiar with the problems of missing,lost,damaged or broken DTS discs but having a DTS or other digital audio format on memory sticks or cards synced with the film. For IMAX or other large format or DTS prints, one or more memory sticks or cards such as SD cards for example could be used for sound.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-02-2009 11:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Course, you have to remember that DTS discs are always read ahead and stored into a memory cache then extracted when the right moment comes from the timecode.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2009 09:16 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imax 10 years ago was using 3 x cds for non compressed digital sound, at that stage we also use to play 35mm mag sound as a backup. I do not know for sure but I am under the impression they now have a hard drive sound system so SD cards etc are probably very possible.
The only real problem with the cards is that they would be even easier to lose than the current dts cd.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2009 09:05 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the above, memory sticks could be easily overwritten whether intentionally or not.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Memory can be locked for read only. No reason not to use them for audio except they too would get smashed in the film cans.

A very good example of tapeless/diskless equipment being used is in todays H-D ENG world where tapeless H-D video has been pioneered by Ikegami, in fact leaving Sony in the dust at this... this all happened because for a couple of years Sony wouldn't give Ikegami any Digi-Beta recorders... So Ikegami said ok... we'll do our own and do it better. Sony lost and Ikegami won big time on this. Ikegami Tapeless ENG System

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2009 02:36 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can easily inhibit the write function in software but I don't think that would be acceptable. The way I see it would be to do it in hardware, but in my opinion that would dramatically increase the cost thus negating the practicality.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2009 06:58 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one memory stick/card would be needed per film, but they would need to be copied, which may take too much time. The CD-ROMS are pressed. Also the cost would be much more. The memory could be reused, but the cost of gathering, shipping, and checking them might be more than buying new ones.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: