Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby & DTS marketing items

Author Topic: Dolby & DTS marketing items
Adam Lautenbach
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2009 11:37 AM      Profile for Adam Lautenbach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Dolby & DTS still send out free promomational items including posters,trailers, and plaques? I know this has been discussed before, but that was some time ago and I would like some current info.
The thing I really want are plaques to put outside our theater entrances. Does anyone have these? I've seen Dolby's order form about promotional kits, but does that order form still work? Has anyone used that recently with results?
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-30-2009 11:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS sent me some posters and trailers last year. [thumbsup] I know that Dolby trailers are still available, though I have had difficulty in ordering them (not sure on posters).

I have not seen wall plaques for either in a while, however.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 05:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried ordering some trailers and marquee slides using their 'free order form' a few years ago but never did get anything. We received 5 copies of the "train" trailer in flat and scope when we got our system and we're still using those. It would be nice to get something different though.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 06:53 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, try having your dealer order the Dolby trailers and stuff..might work a bit better through them,and it should still be free.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 07:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did try that, but (at least a year or 2 ago) it wasn't free, unfortunately. I like the Dolby, but not enough to pay to promote it!

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2009 08:40 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had no problem ordering materials using Dolby's form. In fact, I ordered new kits last summer with their "City Redux" trailers (I don't think they have the wall plaques any longer). I think I have some extra Dolby posters, buttons, and 10" Win-Zip Dolby Digital Marque signs. I can check when I go in tomorrow evening.

As far as DTS materials, I went through our equipment dealer to order those.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-30-2009 08:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am about to send away for some Dolby Digital marketing material now since all of our auditoriums are 100% Dolby product with digital in each house. I'll report back on my success if I remember.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 09:30 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had any problems ordering DTS material...it's more of a 'How much would you like?' kind of thing. It arrives here in Sydney within the week. [thumbsup]

I've never had any success ordering Dolby stuff on the other hand. [thumbsdown]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 09:43 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby material has a cost when ordered through a dealer. You can call Dolby directly and get many of these same materials for free. San Francisco office, ask for Cinema Sales. Louis

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 10:18 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Louis

Do you per chance have an email for them? You can PM me if you'd prefer.

Thanks

John

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-31-2009 12:45 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I like some of the old trailers, posters and other promotional items -nearly all of that stuff is terribly out of date. The logos are no good. The material is old. The stuff basically needs to be shit-canned and replaced -kind of like what most businesses in other industries do on a fairly frequent basis.

Both Dolby and DTS seriously need to revamp their efforts. That especially means getting the current versions of their logos out into the marketplace.

Oddly, I hardly see anything of the current Dolby and DTS logos being used in theatrical marketing. The old logos are still used for the most part on movie posters and all sorts of other movie marketing materials. The only area where I see current Dolby and DTS logos: on the back of a few Blu-ray discs.

Both of those companies need to be doing a better job of brand identity management. That means kicking some ass in a few areas.

I get the feeling various marketing outfits tasked with the job of creating movie posters, end credit runs and such are just grabbing whatever old-assed logo happens to be present on the good old hard disc drive rather than being diligent and checking to see if they have up to date "assets."

I mean look at the freaking white square backgrounds behind those format logos on certain Dreamworks animation releases. I seriously want to slap the shit out of someone for that crap-tastic use of graphics. Basically, at least a few people are sleep walking through their jobs. They don't give a shit.

Hell, I won't be surprised if I'm watching some movie on HBO released only a couple years ago that pulls that Dolby "tri" logo out of the vault.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-31-2009 12:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, the new Dolby logos are SHIT. Would you actually rather see those?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-31-2009 09:32 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like Dolby's new logo scheme, and could go into specifics on a number of negative points. I don't know what that swirling icon in the new DTS logo is supposed to symbolize; it just looks like a superfluous element. I really hate how DTS has jacked around with the "dts" letters -the Letraset Dolmen type style doesn't need any fixing.

Still, like them or not, those are the current logos and they should be the only versions anyone sees on new movie posters, end credits for new movies and home video packaging for newly released DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

In my job I absolutely have to use the most current logos for a given business, even if a newly updated company logo is just plain terrible. It's not my place to decide what version gets used because I don't own that business or its trademark.

Perhaps if Dolby and DTS get enough negative feedback on their current brand schemes they'll do something to change them. It has happened in the past.
[Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: