Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Clamping

Author Topic: Film Clamping
Thomas Moore
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2009 06:39 PM      Profile for Thomas Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the longer Christie clamps but have recently run into an issue with films like Godfather 2 and Reds...being 11 and 12 reel prints....my clamps fall barely short or making a secure connection. I was wondering if there is a way to remedy this. Most of the time I am stuck moving these myself and wanted to avoid future spills or any other mis-haps. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-28-2009 07:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See "clamping long prints" in the "tips" section (upper left frame) of this site. That method is simple and works well.

Or, better yet, get a "cookie sheet" or Goldberg platter reel and never worry about clamps again!

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2009 01:23 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stop teasing me. I want a platter reel SO BAD.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-01-2009 10:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On big prints like that, you bust down the last three reels on a 6k reel...then you can clamp the rest with no problems. Just that you have to rebuild that last three reels back on..

..or, you can move the entire deck with extra hands...

..just be careful in doing that trick though. I had to move, from a STRONG platter clear across the complex, a print of "Gods and Generals" - massive 18 reel print that filled the 52" deck four inches from the edge. "Forget about boards or clamps. We're just going to move the entire deck."

..which was tons easier and had no problems..

-Monte

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2009 02:08 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
. I had to move, from a STRONG platter clear across the complex, a print of "Gods and Generals" - massive 18 reel print that filled the 52" deck four inches from the edge.
Not to be picky, but wasn't "Gods and Generals" 14 reels? I know it was a monster, and I know I'm glad we never had to move it once it was built.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2009 02:21 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
On big prints like that, you bust down the last three reels on a 6k reel...then you can clamp the rest with no problems. Just that you have to rebuild that last three reels back on..
if you use this method, always add a revolution of scrap film to the outside of what's left on the platter before clamping, or you will most likely leave some damage. also add scrap to the film on the 6k.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-02-2009 02:46 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Anslem Rayburn
"Gods and Generals" 14 reels?
True, might have been (thx for the correction) - two HEAVY "Fox Boxes" is all I can remember about that..!

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2009 08:58 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got Strong AP3 platters in both my booths and during the summer months we regularly swap entire platter decks loaded with a double feature. Only only problem we've ever had is sometimes the main roller bearing assembly will pop out of a deck and get left behind on the deck support arm of the platter tree. It usually takes 2-3 of us to move the deck and maybe one more to help guide it into place once we get it moved, and to make sure we didn't leave the bearing assembly behind.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-02-2009 12:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Floyd
main roller bearing assembly will pop out of a deck
Don't you have that bearing retainer cap that goes on the end of the hub for your decks, or the cap comes out as well?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: