Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AW3 Take up arm gets stuck

Author Topic: AW3 Take up arm gets stuck
Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 02:27 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I removed the top platter as I kept hearing a clicking sound coming from the end of the platter arm. When I took out the axle assembly and sensor(sorry if I am not using the right terms)there was an awful lot of reddish dust and the bearing washer was dry. I gave everything a clean and greased the washers, and put the assembly back in. However, when the take up arm was coming away from the motor, the assembly was riding up so had to remove it and keep putting it back in. After several attempts the arm now goes back and forth with no problems but I am concerned it could get stuck during a session.
I have searched and found a similar problem on the forum, and printed it off but wondered if in this case the clicking may have been something being rubbed and possibly worn out?
Also, we seem to have problems putting in and removing payouts lately. I've cleaned where they slot into on the platter, and of course the payout itself, but they are still getting stuck!!

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 07:15 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, we seem to have problems putting in and removing payouts lately. I've cleaned where they slot into on the platter, and of course the payout itself, but they are still getting stuck!!

Sally,

I had the same issue with the payouts at the Highland 10 here in Austin back in 2001 when the theatre re opened after a 17 month closure. I took some 600 grit fine sandpaper to the shafts of the payouts and polished them back to a bright metal color and never had a problem with them sticking again.

The thing that seems to cause the sticking is oxidation (rust) building up on the shaft over time. This is a common thing in places where humidity can be high at times.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 08:14 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a problem with putting brains back in for a while. Check the rail/guide thing inside the platter hole to see if its sitting tight against the inside. For some reason they are separate pieces that can move independently and like to fall too far out.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-26-2009 03:06 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the payout heads, I seen several where the round 'plug' on the payout head becomes mushroomed out from years of inserting. A file usually resolves this.

A slightly bigger issue is where that orienting pin in the platter 'socket' is loose and moves. If it moves out, it will prevent you from lifting the deck up for service. I've had to drill a hole at the deck's center to get at the pin to tap it back in. If the pin moves out, it will make it hard to insert the payout head.

Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 03:24 PM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks gents, I'll take a much closer look at the payouts and platter sockets tonight. Its a bit odd that the payouts only get stuck on certain platters....which tells me its a platter problem and not the payout?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-26-2009 06:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT:

Please read my post afterwards-I previously gave the wrong info.

thx-Monte

[ 03-27-2009, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte!!
Nice to hear from ya.
The platter problem that I had (thanks once again for the help) seems solved...I changed the drive wheel.
Now, this new problem with the sensor....I have never before really thought about exactly how it went back in except the same way it came out.
I've never adjusted a filter wheel before. My 2IC, young Henry, texted me today to let me know that the platter seems OK now (I was a bit wary of using it yesterday)
I'll resend the email I sent a while back as I had attached some nice pretty pics!!
Keep well
Sal

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-27-2009 12:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duh, I'm stoopid here! (serves me right in trying to help on Christie stuff when I've been away from them since 2002..please forgive me here..)

. okey, Your 2IC individual did fix the problem himself - quite on the odd extra-ordinary on how these things happen with that arm

What happened is that the rewind arm got moved forward too far and the finger feed on the brain got moved all the way to the 100 plus degree mark. This will make the tang on the arm come out of the area that moves the finger feed and will jam.

The finger feed has to go back to the middle position on the plate before the arm can come back to the rest position.

This happened to us a few times with operators not paying attention to what they're doing and I showed them how to clear this up quite easily.

Sorry on this.. - Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: