Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cinema sound design (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: cinema sound design
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2009 08:58 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wonder if there is a web site where i can learn how to design a cinema sound system, like what kind of speakers or amplifiers i have to use for front speakers, the power of the amps, the ohms of the speakers i have to consider.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-25-2009 09:15 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking for this for years.

There are a couple of Dolby publications from the 1980s and early 1990s that have some good guidelines, as well as the THX documentation, but I haven't found anything resembling a complete guide to specifying a modern cinema sound system.

I'm still not entirely clear on why systems with similar equipment and room shape/size can sound so different. I'd also be interested in reading about modern systems that have been installed in older-style (single-screen with balcony) houses and why some of these systems completely suck and others sound amazing.

The best sound that I have ever heard in a theatre was in February, 2000 in the Cinerama Dome in LA (now the Arclight), from about 1/3 of the way back from the screen and almost dead center. Someone please tell me how to make every theatre sound like that.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-25-2009 09:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Moreno
the ohms of the speakers i have to consider.

..and what kind of wire to use and gauge.

14g 25 plus strand since it requires low voltage to run speakers.

If you're gonna get crazy with high power behind the screen, then think on 12g stranded runs esp on subwoofers.

Surrounds, twisted 14/2 pair helps.

..and behind screen, you always have at least two extra runs just in case a run opens up, you got a spare right there to replace.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-25-2009 09:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Someone please tell me how to make every theatre sound like that.

Seems to me those were the original Altec A-2's back then. There were originally A-2's installed in the Dome when it opened.

The best sound I've heard in Hollywood was at the large mix stage at Todd-AO which is no longer in existance.

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-25-2009 10:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be many more variables to good movie theater sound than the shape of the room and the sound system hardware installed in it. Although I'm fairly convinced standard sloped theaters have better acoustics than stadium seated theaters.

The building's construction (type of materials used for the walls, ceiling, etc.) play a big part. It would be interesting to know what materials were used in building the Cinerama Dome auditorium, as well as what kinds of acoustical wall treatment, baffles, etc. were installed.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-25-2009 10:33 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby School served this purpose for many years.

It wasn't that Dolby dictated the spec's but the seminars were in part an exchange of ideas and Dolby usually identified hardware and ideas centered on that worked specifically for this application.

Tom Holman of THX had a lot to do with advancing the art when he was there.

The THX spec's were an enhancement to the Dolby guidelines and are still relevant today.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 02:52 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know how good a well specified system should sound? Against what criteria should one judge it from a subjective point of view?

I know this all sounds rather vague, but I don't know anymore what I am listening for! Trying to compare the sound in my theatre to a well matched home hi-fi system does not seem particularly fair - but why not? Doing a fairly straight comparison, shouldn't a CD played at home sound about the same when played through the theatre's non-sync? I know it is harder to judge soundtrack material.

I am talking about subjective evaluation here (I spent some time working in a Hi-Fi shop when I was younger and have a fairly well-trained ear) not frequency response specifications etc.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-26-2009 08:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte...where do you get your rules of thumb?...with wire gauge, it is all about the current, not the voltage. So lets say you are driving a single 8-ohm sub to 800-watts (not very much in the subwoofer world)...do the math...that is 10-amps on that cable. If you were an electrican, depending on the run and the fill in the pipe, you'd say you need 14awg. The problem is, you are not running 800-watts to a sub in most theatres...you are running much more and often paralleling them up. In-line resistance is also the enemy of bass as it kills the damping of the system. For subs...think in terms of 8awg for the long runs. The same rules apply to the other speakers too. Look not only at the current on the cable but how that cable's resistance over the run compares to the driving load...it shouldn't be anywhere near (beyond a factor of 10) or you are compromising the system.

The room is the most difficult aspect of getting good sound, for me. Often, that deck of cards is dealt before I ever have a chance...but good sound starts with the room's design...long before the first piece of sound making equipment is ever chosen.

Steve

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-26-2009 09:38 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Cinema Sound System Manual" by JBL which can be found on jblpro.com under Downloads>Technical Library>Manuals answers a lot of the basic questions and is a good starting point for reading up on the subject. Of course, it doesn't answer all questions and a lot of the information given there is specific to JBL products.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-26-2009 02:18 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have send the "Guidelines for Dolby Stereo Theatres" book to architects for decades.

When (if) the room is deficient, then I can show the architect which page number he failed to comprehend. It may not fix the problem, but it sure fixes the blame. All you need is in that book. Most was writtenor editted by Ioan Allen. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-26-2009 06:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Steve for that info. What I put in my comments is from what I've seen other installers use for their installs.

They mainly run 14g for the stage, subs and surrounds (and I know one plex that ran 12g SOLID for their speaker runs..)

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-26-2009 08:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another misconception...Solid does not have any problem moving sound (or picture for that matter)...it isn't the best conductor to make the termination with though.

Steve

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this day and age, I would also recommend having a processor with optional RCA input jacks for flexibility when it comes to Non-Sync audio. Most modern processors have this capability, but if you get one that doesn't, it's not difficult to remedy.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-27-2009 05:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I preferto have all my I/O's as balanced if possible

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2009 09:11 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
I have send the "Guidelines for Dolby Stereo Theatres" book to architects for decades.
This is also located in the film-tech manuals section under.
Dolby Technical Guidelines for Dolby Stereo Theaters (1994 publication)

By the way, does anyone here use the Jiffy test film?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: