Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help me identify a mfg. year for some Century Projectors, if you can! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Help me identify a mfg. year for some Century Projectors, if you can!
Logan Ayliffe
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2009 12:14 PM      Profile for Logan Ayliffe   Email Logan Ayliffe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heya there film gurus.

I have some Century SA and C projectors and I am trying to find an estimated year of manufacturer. I called Strong Ballantyne but their customer service says they don't keep serial numbers back that far.

Here they are, if anyone has a clue.

Century SA Projectors -

Century C Projector -
#C-8938

Lacking actual manufacture dates, which model is older? The C's or the SAs?

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might drop a note to Balantyne of Omaha (Strong) who have been manufacturing Century for the last couple of decades and perhaps they could tell you. The Cs are the oldest.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 01:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The c is the older

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 01:53 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, he already called Strong and they were no help..do you know of a specific person he could ask for who may be able to help?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 02:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do a site search here I believe dick prather posted a list once

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2009 04:16 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I were given a tour of the Balantyne plant in '06 by one of the executives. But would you believe I have forgotten his name. Of course these days I'm forgetting a lot of things. Go to their website (www.strongcinema.com) and look for the "contact us" button. Or call again and try to get past the pretty young thing at the front dest that answers the phone.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 06:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Century never made s/n 1-100, so 101 is the first one. I have JJ 104 & 105. LOuis

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 07:50 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Louis, I pretty sure worked with JJ #106 and #107 for many years ... many years ago. I'll have to check when I go there again. It had the reversed gate/trap setup, which I have never seen any parts listing/ pictorial for.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-24-2009 09:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JJ s/n 119 (might be 118) is still in daily use, as far as I know.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 10:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and I happen to have jj 101 nad 102

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2009 03:00 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong does not have very many records or manuals of anything they did not make. ORC had books with serial numbers but I have only seen copies of the first book. All pre-war. I have not had much luck finding exact serial numbers for Century other then the first 1000 or so

As posted the Century C was before the SA. C #8938 was probably made around 1948-49. Then came the H in the early 1950's and the A in the mid 1950's. I thought Century advertised it as the model A with the "S" being single shutter and "D" meaning double shutter version with all kinds of other letters added for water cooling, cinefocus, etc.

Your SA's #4594 & #4595 are probably around 1960 or so.
Dick

Logan Ayliffe
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2009 03:03 PM      Profile for Logan Ayliffe   Email Logan Ayliffe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the information and attempts from everyone, I really appreciate it!

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 01:15 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Prather
As posted the Century C was before the SA. C #8938 was probably made around 1948-49. Then came the H in the early 1950's and the A in the mid 1950's.
I have an issue of IP from 1958 announcing the introduction of the model H. I believe the A models coincided with the introduction of the JJ2 35/70mm projector in 1962 or '63.
Bob

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 05:51 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is a Century MSA?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-26-2009 05:58 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
What is a Century MSA?
Century SA, direct drive (that's what the M designates).

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: