Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anyone got a CENTURY R3 manual?

Author Topic: Anyone got a CENTURY R3 manual?
Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2009 11:52 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it says, does anyone (I'm thinking probably Gordon), have a manual for a real Century R3 rep-set? I'm looking for parts listings in particular

Not the ORC or Strong version with the ball bearings on the sprocket shaft, the Century Projector Corp New York version with the Oilite bronze bushes on the sprocket shaft.

Answers on a postcard...

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-24-2009 05:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We probably do. I've uploaded a bunch of stuff that hasn't been posted yet though so I don't know how fast, if we have the manual, and I get time to scan it.

However, if you download the TR4 manual, you might find what you need...it is an old-school manual.

Steve

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2009 03:21 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alas not, the TR4 variant has ballbearings on the main shaft if I'm reading that correctly.

The two I'm dealing with must be real oldies!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-25-2009 08:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wolk normally has the bushings and that shaft version if you need them... They are actually much longer lived than the ball beraing type is... the ball bearings were way to small for the job!

Mark

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2009 09:01 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, those are exactly what I'm looking for. 'Others' have been at the poor thing and made a right pigs aural appendage out of it.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-25-2009 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, I've not quite found the manual you are looking for but I have gone back as far as 1966. There, under obsolete parts they list the BU-822 bushing and two different types of main shafts...the ST-522 for the R3A/R5A and the ST-1123 for the R3B and R5B.

[UPDATE]...going back to a 1962 drawing...the soundhead had already gone to ball bearings (Everything is ball bearings as "Fletch" would say). Anyway, that drawing states that R3s used BU-126 bushings (oil cup lubrication) and ST-552 shafts.

Steve

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2009 12:15 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
(Everything is ball bearings as "Fletch" would say).
Now all you needs is 40 gallons of Antifreeze, preferably Quaker State. [Big Grin] And if Leroy show up before I get back, have him start preping that Fetzer Valve.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-25-2009 03:27 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to convert to ball bearings, we (Hadden) offer a kit to change the geometry to allow R3B parts. (stock ball bearings and shaft.) Works great on standard drive Centurys. Untried to convert to direct drive. Louis

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2009 06:34 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, thank you! This is of enormous help.

Louis... interesting, I will have a chat with the client.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: