Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » sound reader question

Author Topic: sound reader question
Bradley Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 09:43 PM      Profile for Bradley Johnson   Email Bradley Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the battle continues,
I have to thank everyone for there help with my CP-65 questions,

I now have a question concerning upgrading the projectors sound readers.
This is a independent single screen theater running a two projector rig (carbon arcs). The owner wants to spend as little money as possible. (I have had to build an entirely new sound system as the original was over 50 years old, so he is still getting over the initial sticker shock.) I have suggested The CE STR-30. The RSTR-2000 is cheaper and the owner wants to go this route. My question is,,,is there any reason to go for the CE over the RSTR? (BTW, the owner would'nt know a RSTR led reader if one fell on his head, he is just looking at the bottom line.)

FYI the projector is a simplex with a SH1000. Keep in mind that digital is still out of reach for the current budget, but considering that we are upgrading from a single speaker mono setup, this should be a positive improvement.

thank your for the excellent advise

B [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-23-2009 10:48 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main advantage of the CE unit is that it has a capability to add a CE SR-D basement reader and LED relatively easily: the BACP unit does not allow a basement SR-D reader to coexist with it. The CE LED, SR-D reader, and power supply is presumably cheaper than a penthouse reader. Some reputable techs dislike basement SRD readers preferring the penthouse units from BACP and Dolby.
The CE analog reader uses a special power supply with 2 outputs: one for the preamp circuit and another supplying adjustable regulated LED current. This allows you to set the LED to the lowest current that gives you enough signal to get the Dolby tone level adjusted properly for the NR circuits. Lower LED current equals longer LED life.
The BACP reader uses a simple wall-wart type power supply or even uses your existing exciter supply - you power the reader/preamp unit and it supplies the LED power. This makes wiring a bit simpler, but as far as I know the LED current is not adjustable (by you at least). BACP does claim higher efficiency optics (higher than what?) allowing lower LED current for longer LED life.
I've used CE, BACP, and Kelmar analog LED readers. I don't have any particular preference, but I find the Kelmar one a bit overly complex mechanically.
Don't let your budget-obsessed boss hear about Jaxlights. My opinion of them is that they retain the optical shortcomings of the slit lens system and are prone to noise pickup. Reverse scan readers offer inherently better HF response and are seemingly immune to optical noise pickup (from room lighting) plus they have fewer issues with grounding induced hum as well - I've had bad luck with Jaxlights, maybe?.

Bradley Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 11:14 PM      Profile for Bradley Johnson   Email Bradley Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, thanks for the advise,

Yes,,, the theater owner is in a bit of a conundrum over the whole "digital projector" issue. He dose not want to invest much into the current system out of fear of having to dump it all for a digital projector..for example decent or upgradable readers...In my opinion the owners have waited way to long to upgrade from what they have now. It is a 80 mile round trip to the nearest first run cinema, and people are doing just that because of the short comings of the sound system, old school seating etc. I dont know how long cinemas have been in "stereo" (let alone digital surround and the like) but as far as i can remember, I have never seen a film in mono, that is to say, before I saw a film here. It is the owners idea that buying the cheaper non-upgradeable reader is the answer, with the plan of going with a digital projector when the issue is finally forced. (he is assuming that there will be nothing in the current system that can be reused when this happens,,,less speakers and amps) I say make it as good as possible now with used equipment and get the locals back,,,,and pray 35mm stays around for a few more years. The theater itself is great, very old school home town type,,,

thanks again.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 12:32 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well put Dave.

Agree with all the points you made.

About the Optics:

BACP and USL used purpose built optics for the readers and came up with more efficient optics (previous generation optics were from the photo copier industry) and this allowed us to run lower LED current of 150 MA and this was half of what other vendors were using at the time.

This led us to making a decision to fix the current at this figure to preserve LED life as I had seen many techs turn the current on CE and Kelmar readers to Max current to make Dolby level and get out of town when aligning the reader bracket would have been the better technique.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2009 06:01 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well after installing more than 15 BACP units I can guarantee that you will not regret first the ease of installation and secondly the reliability, quality and ease of maintenance. Go for BACP don't let the lower price fool you. They are worth much more!
Demetris

Bradley Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2009 01:59 PM      Profile for Bradley Johnson   Email Bradley Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are going ahead with the RSTR2000 unit. I will post with the results or if I get into trouble. [Eek!]

thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: