Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » STUDIO MOVIE GRILL CITY CENTRE (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: STUDIO MOVIE GRILL CITY CENTRE
Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2009 11:01 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very impressive Brad, that is quite a customer you have there. Does the preshow play off the Doremi servers or its it a separate system?

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2009 11:47 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Brad and Josh on such a well designed clean install. The Film-less booth is remarkable, although without all the film running around, it's almost boring to look at - from a non exhibitor film enthusiast standpoint [Smile]

I have a question, does this theater boast that it's all digital or is it kind of kept casual? Do the patrons seem to notice? If so, what is the general reaction?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-23-2009 02:43 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see anything referencing it being all digital on the section for the new location at SMG's webpage. Though that might just be an oversight. [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-23-2009 05:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they going to paint the booth walls?

Nice installation, otherwise. Using the projection equipment automation to control the rest of the building based upon showtimes is brilliant. [thumbsup]

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 07:40 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the name "Film"-Tech will have to be changed to something more DCI compliant. [Wink]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-23-2009 07:55 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
television-tech.com is available.... [Smile]

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 11:11 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
movie-tech.com is available as well. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-23-2009 12:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking vid-tech.com had more of a ring to it.

quote: Bevan Wright
Does the preshow play off the Doremi servers or its it a separate system?
It is a separate system that loops.

quote: Sean Weitzel
without all the film running around, it's almost boring to look at - from a non exhibitor film enthusiast standpoint
Its also a bit weird in the fact that since we are using the projectors for preshow as well (it doesn't cost any more than maintaining a separate little projector), the bulbs never turn off so you can't really tell when a show is over if you are sitting in the booth.

I have a question, does this theater boast that it's all digital or is it kind of kept casual?
The intention was to advertise it, but you're right now that I think about it, other than a poster in the lobby there is no mention of it.

quote: Scott Norwood
Are they going to paint the booth walls?
It would've been nice, but since that room is destined to evolve into cobwebs, the paint was cut from the project.

Congratulations Brad and Josh on such a well designed clean install.
Don't forget Danny. He may be the quiet one but it took all 3 of us.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-23-2009 01:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great job Brad! Even though I've known about this for the last 6 months it looks much nicer in the pics then you're description was. It's surely a "Model D-Cinema Multiplex" to compare all others too.

Mark

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 04:30 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Film-Tech NOC monitors the entire building and handles building the playlists and loading KDMs each week so the manager can concentrate on running the theater."

Brad,

Are you doing off site monitoring from a control center?

Please elaborate about your NOC. Do you monitor multiple locations? I could see this as an up and coming opportunity as digital installs become more prominent.

I'll add to the praise. The installation looks spectacular. Not often do you see dressed wiring these days. Great job.

---Rick

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-23-2009 04:55 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The booth is very nice...although I do miss the look of another platter array. [Frown]

Perhaps you should put one in anyway just to confuse people. [Wink]

Well done boys.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-23-2009 05:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got a pile of old Super Platters you could set up in the middle of the room to feel more at home...... [Eek!]

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-23-2009 06:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Raskin
Are you doing off site monitoring from a control center?
Yes, the existing NOC setup is temporary as we are only monitoring 7 theater locations and are running off of 2 internet connections with battery backup power. In June we are moving to a new location with triple redundant internet connections, large battery backup power and a backup generator...just in case. The NOC handles everything except plugging in the hard drives once a week, which the manager does (takes about 2 minutes). If the need should ever arise, the NOC can run shows completely manually.

quote: John Wilson
I do miss the look of another platter array.
You do bring up a good point. I wonder what the going rate for AW3s with dual payout and takeup is these days? [Razz]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-23-2009 06:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Ahhh... much better. [Big Grin]

quote: Brad Miller
You do bring up a good point. I wonder what the going rate for AW3s with dual payout and takeup is these days?
Are you saying you're converting the others or that you just have a bit of stock you now will no longer need? Just send them to me and I'll store them for you. [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-23-2009 06:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pffft. Not impressed, as usual. There isn't anything from Strong or even ORC in the booth so it can't be very good. I bet the xenons aren't even OSRAMs! You should just close the place down now.

Oh and sorry John. I get first dibbs on Brad's Christies.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: