Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Recommend me a dimmer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Recommend me a dimmer
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-22-2009 01:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a good 3-step dimmer? Also, how the hell much does it cost?

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 01:11 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably depends on what you need for wattage, Joe.

The Kelmar 2-channel dimmers work very well. You can put the stops where you want them, and set the timing from seconds to nearly a minute & a half. Mine have been running for 7 years with zero problems.

Don't remember what the cost is, but I don't remember them being that bad. Check with your supplier.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-22-2009 02:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have direct contact with my supplier. I don't even know who my supplier is. Trying to recommend new dimmers to the owner and want to throw them a ballpark figure. The auditoriums are mostly small with one Large Giant Screen.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 06:51 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe; I concur that the Kelmar is really good, reliable, and is also available as a 3 step. See Kelmar website; we are a Kelmar dealer. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-22-2009 09:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll concur with any of the Kelmars. They are totally reliable. We are also a Kelmar dealer but give better pricing!!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 09:25 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ash TEC8112 dimmer is probably one of the best [Smile]
The Hitech and the Smart were the worse
Lindsay Fairbanks are a little weird in there design
The Leigh is good as well

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon:

Yes, the TEC 8112 was a great dimmer, compact and rugged and very reliable. But wasn't that only a two-stage dimmer? (Bright and dim?) I last worked with them back in 1993. I do recall they had up to 4 output circuit breakers, don't remember if they were actually separate dimmer channels.

And what's so weird about the Lindsey-Fairbanks? It was a pretty good dimmer, very heavy though from the choke coils in the back can. (They were standard coil and core, not toroidals which would have been lighter in weight.)

One drawback we did discover with the L-F's though: if the load is shorted the triac assembly would fail violently and send 120vac through the control lines, we fried an LP Assoc. automation that way.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-22-2009 03:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Mark...so you work for Wal*Mart too?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 05:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TEC was originally a 3 state dimmer up down preset with a double stacked card
All the ones sold into the us were a 4 state dimmer with either Triac or SSR outputs and optionaly flurescent dimming

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-22-2009 05:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Gee Mark...so you work for Wal*Mart too?

Thats what our customers say... It apparently has something to do with volume and getting beter breaks on the cost... similar to Wal-Marts idea but down a different track.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 07:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, and I have twelve of those Stanley Ash 8112 "Theatre Decorators" to play with.

The ones with the triple breaker were set up kinda interesting- one breaker was the mains breaker and the other two could be tied together so it could feed two locations at once..

And we do have dimmable flourscent light fixtures in our houses..being old Cineplex Odeon plexes.

Course, for Joe's interest is that he needs to check in the total wattage each house would use in lighting so he can get the right size of dimmer pak. Thus, if he has a giant screen house, he would need a dimmer pak (prob a pak that would have a triple triac in it) that could handle the megawatts that house would need.

-Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 08:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the reason for the secondary breakers is that often the dimmer was ordered as 2.4k 3.6k or 4.8k capacity and under the nec the maximum breaker size protecting a medium screw base lamp socket is 15amps so even a 2k dimmer needs 2 secondary 15amp breakers

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 08:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for the Kelmar here. We have one and have had no problems in about 15 years at least.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
It apparently has something to do with volume and getting beter breaks on the cost... similar to Wal-Marts idea
I think Wal-Mart is far more ruthless than CLACO!

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2009 10:22 PM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, Give Allen Christiansen at Aster Seating & Audio (formerly Quality Cinema Supply, Bob Tankersley) in Denver a call, seeing as you're in my region. He's a great guy and should know exactly what you need and how to get it at a reasonable price.
He's always worked with me and my theaters and taken good care of us.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 05:35 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also have to throw in my vote for the Kelmar dimmer. I ran two of them at the Cine 6 in Corpus. No problems at all. I am planning on being in the Denver area again between labor Day and the 11th. maybe I can stop by and look at your current place.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: