Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SX-2000 lamphouse problem.

Author Topic: SX-2000 lamphouse problem.
Thomas Moore
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2009 07:31 PM      Profile for Thomas Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of the blue today the lamphouse wont light using the automation start up. i have to manually hit the power button then the manual strike button about 3-5 times in order to get the bulb to light. however once it is on after the stat up with automation is running, i can then turn off the manual xenon switch and it runs fine the rest of showtime and powers off the way it should.

CFS SX2000

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2009 01:10 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I found one of the wires from the course taps had burned it's connection to the contacter. I cut off the burned part of the wire, attached a spade lug to it and reinstalled it to the contacter. Make sure the connection is tight, or it'll burn up the connection again.
Does the light flicker on screen? Are the amps noticeably reading low on the amp/volt meter? My burned wire caused this as my 3-phase was missing "a leg" (one of the phases). This will make the bulb hard to strike.
If the wires are sound and you are getting proper volts and amps then it may be the bulb. What brand of xenon bulb is in that lamphouse? How long has it been installed?
The culpret may also be the ignitor. I will let one of the more knowledgeable engineers chime in on how to test that.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 02:05 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your first problem is it's a CFS. [Smile]

I agree with James, sounds like a bad wire on the contactor. I would also change the relay in the automation that controls the lamp as I'll be willing to bet the contacts on it are burned.

CFS didn't exactly use the best quality of parts and workmanship. [Smile]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 02:06 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a wire that goes from the transformer to a cigar shaped resister mounted at the top of the power supply frame. I have had this wire come off the resistor and the problem you described happen. I re-soldered the wire and problem was corrected.

If it is a bad wire on the contactor or one of the legs you will experience a start voltage drop. Check your voltage meter when you try to start the lamp and see if the voltage pegs out above 100 volts. If it does then the legs are good and the problem lies some where else

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 07:25 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it could be as Darryl suggested, the 100ohm/100watt resistor could be open or the wire is unsolder, if that is OK check the zener diode under the auto strike relay, that's usually the item that goes bad...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: