Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RealD's new extra light system..

Author Topic: RealD's new extra light system..
James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 03:31 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have the details on this new RealD system that is suppose to archive much better light levels?
How does it work etc?

|  IP: Logged

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 03:58 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it nor have I found more information about it, so I can only speculate.

They probably replaced the traditional circular polarizer (linear+wave plate) which often only gets efficiencies of about 47% max. theoretical with a different multi-wave guide one (probably multi chiral sandwiches) which has theoretical efficiencies of up to 94% at the beginning of their Zscreen sandwich.

There. Instant light doubling [Wink]

They are much more expensive but very reasonable, as few things are cheaper than a traditional polarizer filters [Wink]

[ 03-15-2009, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: Julio Roberto ]

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 08:19 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julio,
I need more then that. How about some links to this tech.
Discussing how it works etc?

I have not heard of this polarizing tech you mention. I expect there would be some type of information online.. especially the circular stuff. Found a lot on that.

I heard there was a new type of BOX with maybe two outputs.
And that some how it re-uses the light..
Sounded very iffy to me.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 08:49 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?tp=&arnumber=4382351&isnumber=4382237

That would be a good paper on the technology I was talking about.

I doubt RealD used a light recovery box, but if they did, that would be the "easy" way out.

It's easy to separate light "50/50" based on its polarization with, i.e., a wire grid polarizer, by reflecting the half that is in one direction and allowing the other half to pass through.

Then you can rotate the half you reflected with a wave plate and make it go through the optical path again. That way you get "100%" of the light polarized in one state going through the path you wanted.

Sort of.

Here is a link to RealD patent abstract for such an implementation:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080225236

quote:
A polarization conversion system (PCS) is located in the output light path of a projector. The PCS may include a polarizing beam splitter, a polarization rotating element, a reflecting element, and a polarization switch. Typically, a projector outputs randomly-polarized light. This light is input to the PCS, in which the PCS separates p-polarized light and s-polarized light at the polarizing beam splitter. P-polarized light is directed toward the polarization switch on a first path. The s-polarized light is passed on a second path through the polarization rotating element (e.g., a half-wave plate), thereby transforming it to p-polarized light. A reflecting element directs the transformed polarized light (now p-polarized) along the second path toward the polarization switch. The first and second light paths are ultimately directed toward a projection screen to collectively form a brighter screen image in cinematic applications utilizing polarized light for three-dimensional viewing.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=9psOAAAAEBAJ
[link is to another patent for basically the same thing made a few years earlier than Colorlinks/RealD's]

[ 03-15-2009, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Julio Roberto ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: