Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FM-35s... why must you fail? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FM-35s... why must you fail?
Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2009 07:24 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always on a Friday or Saturday! This weekend is when I'm training 2 new guys for booth and now I have to show them running a projector with the motor & bulb on manually. I don't like this as no one remembers to drop or raise the lights correctly, leave the bulb on while they're out of booth and the show's dropped, and use running in manual as a crutch instead of solving a problem.

So my question... is there anything I can leave the manager taking over booth in the next few weeks for advice with these automation sensors besides keeping them clean? She's competent, but has a lot to learn.

|  IP: Logged

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2009 07:27 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of automation are you using?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-14-2009 07:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If kept clean I probably loose one a year in the entire circuit of 100 screens so I don't understand what the problem is ou are having
They must be kept very clean
What is failing the failsafe function of prescence and motion or reading cues

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 10:44 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the thing... for this projector, the motion & presence sensor lights are both on, but still no ready light. I've reset the projector, power supply unplugged the unit's multipin... nothing.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-15-2009 10:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a cableing or automation problem not a fm35 problem

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 12:18 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tyler,

I agree with Gordon. If the presence and motion lights on the failsafe itself are both lit, it sounds like the failsafe is working, and the problem lies in the cabling or automation. Although, I suppose there could be a small chance that something is wrong in the circuit between those lights and the output. So anyway, what type of automation is used? If you have a TA-10, you can flip the bypass switches on the termination board inside the automation and still allow full use of the automation; you just have to keep a close eye on things because it will not shut down if there is a film break, etc.

As for being forced to teach your operators how to properly run a show manually, well, this is a good thing. It is something that every operator should know how to do, and not having use of the automation forces them to keep a close eye on things. (Something that they should be doing anyway, but running manually just reinforces the need to keep an eye on things.) Hopefully they are not leaving the booth for long periods of time if there is a show being run in manual mode.

I recently had an FM-35 where one of the roller shafts was loose, causing the film to not register properly and it would shut down the show. Make sure all the rollers are properly aligned and the film is seated properly on them, especially the large black roller right under the sensor.

Does this problem occur with multiple prints? There could be something funky with the film stock. I've had that happen before, too.

Al Biers
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Al Biers   Email Al Biers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tyler
Do you have the old style sensors and rollers, the new upgrade units work far better, you say the lights for presence and motion are on, it is possible that the sensor has gone bad.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2009 09:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Much of the IR detectors failure to work goes right back to the old fading LED problem!!! Replace the sensors and they continue to work just fine.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-16-2009 07:19 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the presence and motion LED is lit then the sensor is working the problem lies elsewhere

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-16-2009 07:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree... I was just mentioning that I've had to replace ALOT of sensors... not may other failures on them at this end.

Mark

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-16-2009 02:02 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a couple of cases where the connector wasn't making good contact with the wires. Performance was a bit intermittent until I got that figured out. In practice, I haven't had to pay any special attention to my FM-35s. They get the same cleaning everything else does, but nothing extraordinary. Can't recall a failure in nearly 10 years now.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-16-2009 08:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've had about 100% failures in the FM35. If it wasn't the sensors it was the tin-plated connectors. I've had em were the tin plated connectors that connect the sensor board to the main board oxidized and caused intermittent failures.

Now clearly this has not been the case with all of them around the world as it has a decent reputation. In the Mid-Atlantic area, if you have tin plated connectors, they WILL fail, period.

One of the reasons we have been so saitisfied with the CE basement digital readers is that they switched from tin to gold connectors...it has made things much more reliable.

Try taking the sensor board on and off a few times and if you have a good contact cleaner, give it a try.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-16-2009 11:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YEP! It's the high humidity that kills the tin plating on the tin plated connectors. I have yet to see that happen out in our dry climate. Just the sensors that fail er should I say fade.

Mark

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-17-2009 10:25 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an anti-corrosion spray that we use on aircraft (Corrosion-X), which is somehow rated for use on/with electronics. I wonder if that stuff would prevent the connector problem.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 02:36 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also use some WD-40..wet a cloth and wipe it onto the contact pins. DO NOT spray it on the contacts or sensors.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: