Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cross Scratching

Author Topic: Cross Scratching
Jason Wharton
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2009 05:49 PM      Profile for Jason Wharton   Email Jason Wharton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, i'm new here and have a quick question for those of you more knowledgeable than myself.

Basically, i've had a couple of incidents of cross scratching appear at my cinema and I know of the obvious causes for this and it is more than likely that it was human error when running on or lacing up. My question is though, is there any other way cross scratching can happen?

I only ask this as someone once mentioned to me that an intermittent unit on it's way out can cause it, seems bizzare to me but does anyone know if thats the case?

I know this is probably a dumb question, I am in the position where I never really recieved any propper formal training and what I know is what i've picked up over the years i've worked in the booth and i'm always looking to improve my knowledge.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help!

Jase.

|  IP: Logged

Boris Brown
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2009 06:51 PM      Profile for Boris Brown   Email Boris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! It seems to me that the intermittent unit isn't the cause of the cross scratching. It's most likely that it is the 'incorrect' movement of the film through the projector or platter (if there is one).
Good luck!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2009 06:56 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jason. Welcome. You will find many knowledgeable people here eager to help. Don't feel ashamed to ask; a closed mouth never gets fed, so to speak. That being said, right now we don't have much to go on. Please list what equipment you are using so that we can pinpoint the problem. Platter, projector head, sound head (analog and any digital heads that may exist), failsafe, and anything else that may be in the film path. Furthermore, what do you mean by "cross scratch"? I've not heard this term, but to me it sounds like a horizontal scratch across the image. I don't see how an intermittent could cause that, so that may not be what you are trying to describe.

With a little more info, I'm sure someone here will be able to help you get to the bottom of it. Cheers! [beer]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-14-2009 07:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost every case of cross frame slashes can be traced back to the film be on the flange of a roller or pinched over the flange of a roller by the keeper

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 03-15-2009 06:18 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or film rubbing against the flange of a spool or against the platter decks.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-15-2009 08:11 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian said "...or film rubbing against the flange of a spool or against the platter decks. "
I aways tend to discount that one as it could only happen due to a misaligned roller that would always happen on every time that deck was used

Jason Wharton
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 10:43 AM      Profile for Jason Wharton   Email Jason Wharton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again and thanks for all the replies, I'm pretty sure this was human error, and it's happened a couple of times, I just don't wanna point the finger at someone and it actually be the equipment at fault.

Platters are christie AW3's, Century SATA heads, kelmar analogue/digital soundhead, strong fp-350 optical failsafe/pulse reader.

And by cross scratching I mean multiple horizontal lines accross the frame, in this particular case on the emultion side of the film.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recently had a print with scratches like this. One of my 'operators' misthreaded the AW3 and the film was dragging across the platter itself on take-up. The very edges of some of our decks are a bit rough, and this is where our horizontal scratches came from in my case.

Jason Wharton
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 12:21 PM      Profile for Jason Wharton   Email Jason Wharton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is exactly what I think has happened on this occasion, trouble is I can't pin point it to one technician as it happened while I was off.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-15-2009 01:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce McGee
dragging across the platter itself on take-up.
It can happen during buildup or teardown too. If you have a movable roller on the MUT and it is positioned such that the film is dragging on the edge of the platter, scratches across the film will result. This can happen very easily on the Christie AW3.

Jason Wharton
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 04:34 PM      Profile for Jason Wharton   Email Jason Wharton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was aware of that one ;-) The film was rehearsed before showing to the public and the scratching wasn't there so can only of happened sometime during it's run.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2009 09:05 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I've seen "hash mark" horizontal scratches on
a Christie platter is when the film is rubbing on the edge.

STRONG platters can put short diagonal hash marks if the
brain is threaded wrong. It happens at my theater when
someone is in a hurry. The film rubs against one of the
guide rollers around the circumference of the brain and
the roller flange puts short horizonal marks on the film

ILLUSTRATION- (Using a 70mm Brain)
 -
It's easy to do it wrong, especially on the middle or
bottom platter if you're in a rush and/or get distracted.

I've heard of some people totally removing that roller.
I figure it's there for a reason so I just make sure I
double check the film path from the platter to pole.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2009 01:10 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a technician who can't lace up properly?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: