Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thoughts about fixing a film break (or other situation) with damage to the film

Author Topic: Thoughts about fixing a film break (or other situation) with damage to the film
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-12-2009 11:05 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious to get input on dealing with various types of film breaks or damage. Most specifically, where you have several feet of pinched or creased film resulting from the film jumping off the MUT rollers or a brain wrap (where wrap detector wasn't present).

In this situation, would you attempt to save any of the damaged frames or frames between the damage? Would you make your cuts at the nearest shot change on either side of the damage?

Mainly I'm just gathering input I can use for training. I may simulate some breaks just so my people can actually see what happens and how to fix it.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2009 12:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the film has been creased or pinched I generally don't cut any of it out if it'll run through the machine. Better to have the picture go wacky for a couple of seconds than to lose footage. I guess some projectors are more forgiving of this kind of damage than others. We have a Simplex, it will run just about anything you can throw at it as long as the sprocket holes are OK.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2009 12:19 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here as what Mike has mentioned above - with the same Simplex units.

Yet, I've gone one step farther on some occasions with 'poly' film: If it breaks clean-almost straight across, I just resplice it without cutting out the torn.

But,some theatres/circuits whack out even a slightest crease, or just order new reels.

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2009 02:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the sprocket holes are intact I will run the film. Now if it is damaged for less than a seconds worth of film say between 1 to 12 frames I will look at the sound portion and if it looks fairly quiet I will just cut out the damaged section. If the damage is a bit more severe and it is still a short section with allot of sound I will still cut it out. As far as a long crease is concerned, or a long section of any damage for that matter, I will generally play it through but I will have someone, if not myself, be in the theatre for that section and evaluate if it is distracting enough vs what information would be lost if it were to be cut out. Then from that I will determine if we need to mark it and cut it out or not.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: