Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Outing Bad Labs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Outing Bad Labs
Alex Rolfe
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2009 05:00 PM      Profile for Alex Rolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Rolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over in "Outing Bad Filmhandlers," Mr. Redifer noted that India can't afford backtension. Apparently Adlabs, Mumbai can't afford
- cue dots (this seems common to indian prints)
- enough black dye to fill the frames at the end of the leader and beginning of the tail on our print of Delhi-6. Makes those changeovers very exciting.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-07-2009 07:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm
It is nice to know that the standards of the US for projection are world wide
I have run bolllywood for years and yes one must scribe cues and the leaders are clear
but if you don't want to run them then maybe you should work at another theatre [Frown]
The projectionists job is to present to the public whatever they receive to the best of the ability of the facility they work at
This sounds more like threader gripping than legit projectionist issues
sorry to sound negative but that is the way I see it

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-07-2009 07:25 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The French don't print change cues either, not a problem anyway for the well equipped booth. You just need a cue cutter of some sort.

What difference does the clear leader or tail make, if the film is properly prepared and the projectionist is competent neither will ever be seen.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-08-2009 12:13 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually cue dots are the job of the negative cutting house and / or producer and not the lab.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-09-2009 03:06 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the lab implements the cue dots with their punch/die on the dupe negs, right?

I don't think it's fair to complain about the lab not including cues when cues aren't standard in that country. Sure, it's annoying to not have them, but that doesn't make the lab bad. They're just doing their job to spec.

Same deal with Eclair Lab.

--jhawk

Alex Rolfe
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2009 08:59 AM      Profile for Alex Rolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Rolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon said
quote: Gordon McLeod

I have run bolllywood for years and yes one must scribe cues and the leaders are clear but if you don't want to run them then maybe you should work at another theatre
The projectionists job is to present to the public whatever they receive to the best of the ability of the facility they work at
This sounds more like threader gripping than legit projectionist issues
sorry to sound negative but that is the way I see it

It's certainly our job to present the film to the best of our abilities. It's always nice when other people make that easier rather than harder- we added cues and the changeovers were fine. The point was that lab cues and black leaders are helpful in the same way that unlocked cans or well made splices with good tape are helpful.

I do find it curious that cues are standard in some countries but not others. Was there ever a movement to drop them in the US? Are there actually enough venues running changeover that they're still printed, or is it just tradition?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-09-2009 09:10 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cues were often placed in different areas of the screen in different countries

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2009 12:52 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe a fairly large number of theaters still retain the ability to go reel to reel even if they have a film tower or platter system. I rather enjoy being able to run a film reel to reel if it's showing only once or twice to save the hassle of assembling it on a platter. Also, don't forget some smaller venues still use 6000' reels with changeovers. I would like to see them continuing this practice.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2009 05:23 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much to my disappointment, our 6000 magazines just came off. [Frown]

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2009 09:58 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, not in love with Adlabs Mumbai myself, if only because they ship prints without cores. It would probably bother me less if they weren't technically my coworkers.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-10-2009 11:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it will have bee a nother theatre that removes the cores somewhere down the food chain

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2009 11:32 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally, that's the case, Gordon, especially with MOST Adlabs prints, but the Mumbai facility clearly does not run too terribly tight a ship.

And generally, our Adlabs prints always come new (our company is owned by Adlabs).

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-10-2009 11:56 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally always?

[Razz]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-10-2009 11:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have dealt with ADLAB many times over the years ( having worked for the first indian theatre/distribution network in north america years ago) and all our "new" prints had cores but the previously enjoyed prints that came from them never had cores [Smile]
and to date some of our theatres still run bollywood and the new prints have cores others have not [Frown] but that is part of the joy of bollywood every heason box one opens is a suprise
Also Adlabs printing quality is normaly very good

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2009 12:56 AM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. The quality of most Adlabs prints is top-notch.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: