Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Norelco Amp Questiona

Author Topic: Norelco Amp Questiona
Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2009 07:36 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, been a few months since I've been by.

I have a Norelco wall mount amplifier, type EL 5341/10, model M2A, the "suitcase" amp that switches out real fast.

I believe I lost a power transformer, the tubes won't light up. I have a spare third unit to cannibalize. I changed all the tubes (2- PL36 and 1- 12AX7A), and the fuse, that didn't help. The little lights still work, so there is power there.

The transformer is marked V3 622 95.0, one has T-113 and the other has T-365.

Is there a manual available for this unit? I looked here for one, nothing listed. Also, any hints as to my problem? Maybe something else is wrong?

Also, a source for these tubes? PL36 and 12AX7A.

Thanks guys.

My email: crawsat@juno.com

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2009 09:13 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First clue is the tubes don't light.

Check the filaments to see if there is voltage present. PL36 filament is on pins 2 & 7 and 12AX7A is pins 3 & 5.

Not being sure of how they are wired it is helpful to know that the PL36 is a 25 volt filament and the 12AX7A is 12 volts.

That brings up the possibility that the two 12 AX7As may have their filaments wired in series and then connected a 25 volt winding. It is also possible that all of the tube filaments are in series and connected to one voltage supply.

Just Google the tube type -- there are lots available on the Net.

Good luck...

---Rick

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2009 09:06 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rick.

Found PL36 tubes online already, seems to be enough out there. A friend has a couple 12AX7A's.

Thinking I'll change out the transformers, that's what an Altec tech I know suggested. 6 solder joints and 4 bolts, easy enough to try.

Thanks for the tips on the pins.

I lost audio the other day for about a minute, and then it came back, without finding the problem. Then Sunday I lost audio completely, changedout the amp and had it back. It's been suggested that the transformer lifted, cooled, and then reconnected and I had audio again first time, second time was the end of the little black box.

Thanks again, Rick. I'll let you know what happens.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-08-2009 11:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 25E5/PL36 and the 12AX7s should be readily avaialble - Try Antique Electronic Supply or Tube Depot .

-Aaron

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-09-2009 06:15 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any good dealer should be able to buy from Richardson Electronics, maker of most tubes. (USA) Louis

Hans Van Der Vlist
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2009 09:45 AM      Profile for Hans Van Der Vlist   Email Hans Van Der Vlist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

If you need a service manual for your amplifier Norelco EL3541
you can order it here:
http://www.agtannenbaum.com/n_cat.html
hope this will help!
Hans.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: