Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS - first parts running in analogue only

Author Topic: DTS - first parts running in analogue only
Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2009 06:59 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based in the UK, we have run two international prints recently, 'SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE' and 'CHE: PART ONE'. Both of these prints are supposed to have DTS soundtracks. Sadly, however, in both instances, the FIRST part of each film would not play with DTS sound.

When I contacted the UK office of DTS they told me that the first reels of each of these prints were not licensed to play with DTS sound in the UK!

What peculiar anomaly of copyright/licensing law could cause this to be the case and how come the Dolby Digital soundtrack content is not affected by the same legalities?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-27-2009 08:11 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely the first part of the film is different in some way in the UK release to the US and they chose not to license a second version of the disks
the second half being the same as the us disks plays

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2009 11:06 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. In the US, the prints are distributed by Fox Searchlight. In the UK, they are distributed by Pathe, and the soundtrack for R1 would be different. In most cases, the studios encode a second R1 (R13 typically) and include it on the discs. Sometimes, (as in the case with "Titanic"), the discs are too full and they cannot fit on an additional reel. That is why there are 2 sets of "Titanic" discs.

If Pathe didn't want to go to the expense of producing a completely new reel for the DTS track and then making different discs for UK distribution, I figure they either didn't print a timecode on the UK version of R1, or picked up the timecode part-way through R1 so the SRD/SR tracks would cover the balance.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: