Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex 35: gate opening mechanism

Author Topic: Simplex 35: gate opening mechanism
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2009 04:16 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the subject states this question is about a Simplex 35 post 1997 projector head. It has a G1905 Gate Carriage & Opening Mechanism.

I have recently replaced the G1614 Gate Release Lever since it was badly worn and could no longer sustain its purpose. I also replaced the spring P1611.

The new one lever does keep the gate open properly; however, the lever is very difficult to release. It feels as if the mating surface to the lever has been worn is is abnormally rough. I looked in the parts guide at the exploded diagram to get an idea how this mechanism works, but I can not seem to figure out what part this lever interfaces with. I'm thinking I may need to replace the part which interfaces with the lever.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-24-2009 04:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can lessen the tension (back off) on the coiled spring that the gate shaft, P-1629 goes through with the P-1630 adjusting collar.

-Monte

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2009 11:34 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's true.

This spring doesn't seem to be any tighter than the other projectors if holding the lever open while opening and closing it.

The problem seems more to be that the lever is hard to uncatch from what ever it cathes to. It has non-smooth unlatching action.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-25-2009 12:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could take off that one lever and dress it dowm with a file - "fine tune" it in for you...

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2009 04:08 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Monte,

Yes I could fine tune it.

I took one of these apart and found that "Part A" is the part I am having a problem with. How do you remove the pin which has been driven in see "Part B" it doesn't seem like this part was made for servicing easily.

-

[ 02-25-2009, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Eric Robinson ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-25-2009 10:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to take the handle off the shaft. Remove those three allen screws that hold down the P-1618 "Operating Lever Mounting Bracket" and remove the entire assembly.

Then on the end of the shaft is a snap ring that holds the shaft to this bracket. Remove the snap ring and the shaft will slide out of the assembly - along with the other closure parts associated with it.

But, if you want to take off that handle from the front end of the shaft, that spring pin will have to be pressed out either on an Arbour Press or a punch of the same diameter.

Does it release easier if you just roll the operating lever back to where it releases the tension off of that P-1614 release lever?

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2009 10:32 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if the lever is pulled slightly, the release is easier.

I tried what you said with the snap ring but there is a pin stuck through a silver ring at the end of the spring also. Either way I have to press the pin out. I've been wanting to get a press, maybe this will be my opportunity.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: