Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Stereo Cell Alignment Issue- (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stereo Cell Alignment Issue-
Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Sony DFP 3000 Processor, JAX light and stereo cell in a RCA 1040 sound head. When running Dolby Tone, the level on the right channel seems to bob up and down a bit, but the left channel seems fairly steady. When I think I have it up to an average level, and then put a reel on, it appears that the right channel could be a few hashmarks weaker. As it is, the gain diffrerence between the two is about 2.0 DB. Also as an FYI, it is aligned for minimal cross talk as well.

Could this be a sign of one side of pickup cell going bad?
(I also checked to make sure the lens optics were clean. Also, there is a new LED array in the JAX light so it shouldn't be that) Or could there be something else at play? Anyone else ever come accross this?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-20-2009 08:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you might have some oil in that slit lens that could be an issue.

Have an extra slit lens around to swap out and try?

Big problem with the Jaxlight on existing slit lens/photocell assemblies is that the lens and photocell originally work together to accomodate the full light spectrum of the white light from the exiter lamp.

The emissions from the red LED of the Jaxlight isn't strong enough to go through the glass elements of the slit lens and the cell isn't sensitive enough for red light frequency as for normal full spectrum white light. Thus, you're only getting half of what's needed.

-Good luck -Monte

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2009 08:58 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only other slit lens I have is a wider mono one. I heard tell of opening a lens to clean it. Is it a difficult process?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-21-2009 03:46 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, can't answer that one on how one would take apart a slit lens assembly outside of sending them to your supplier who knows where to send them in for professional cleaning.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2009 04:57 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First clean all optics including cell, I did have seen some small damage to cells but they still performed well.

Are this happened before or, maybe something is wrong with wiring or grounding on that channel?

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2009 09:40 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jax lights are awful and very critical to align to get the most out of them. You may well find that the uniformity is.... will be, poor.

Get a loop of some CAT506 uniformity test film. Feed the left and right test signal from the processor into one channel of your analyser and feed BOTH left and right test signals from the processor in to it.

You should ideally see six peeks representing three signals on each channel from your processor. The aim is to get the peeks all the same hight so that the film is illuminated evenly across both channels.

You may find you have to shim the Jax light on the inside, outside, rear or front or a combination to get the best results possible.

As for you having a mono lens tube I'm not heard on one before. I'd give it a try and run some buzz track. You should be scanning to the maximum width without any signal from the edges of the sound track.

It's a time consuming job to experiment with different parts and having to re do the a chain each time but it may reward you with an overall better sound.

If all else fails dump the Jax light!!

Regards.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-21-2009 11:27 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think one can take a slit lens apart
Put a scope on the output and see if the level fluctuation you are seeing is the dolby tone or background noise
then reverse the cell connection at the jax light preamp and see if the problem moves

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-21-2009 03:06 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the old B&L lenses unscrewed. I haven't unscrewed an RCA lens, but they are all build alike. Be sure to reseal!

BTW: the only good Jax lite is one in a museum, that is not powered up. Louis

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-21-2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do so many people put down JAXlights? It seems like a viable solution to the cyan track issue.

I'm not particularly fond of their preamp... I think it sucks. But properly modified, it works great.

Please be specific in your pro and/or con comments.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-21-2009 03:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Ray Derrick made a modified preamp for them down in Oz
The Led source is by itself more than clever

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2009 04:35 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did give things a thorough cleaning today, having to pull the lamp socket out to get to the back of the slit lens. When I put it back in, I had to readjust (raise) the levels. The right side still needed more gain, but it did seem more stable. We'll see.

BTW, I had also reversed wiring like Gordon suggested and it is NOT the pre-amp.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-21-2009 06:50 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make one of Jeff Strickler's homebrew red led replacements. We made two of them and used them for 3 years without having to touch anything. They seem to be brighter than the Jaxlight and have a wider angle and covered the slit lens completely. They were eventually replaced by BACP reverse scans.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2009 10:09 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Try looking at a Dolby installation for the A chain alignment. There you will find a simple way to "see" the light coming through the slit lens. Perhaps that will simplify your alignment as well as answering your question of coverage of the track.

In the CP-55 manual in the manuals section of this site you can see this process in the 4.4 section of drawings.

Hope this helps.

KEN

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-21-2009 11:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang,forgot about that old 'paper trick' to see the filament display..that would work.

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2009 09:02 AM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well those tips have offered some guidance to go further as well as jarred the memory. I may be on to the root cause of all things evil in this setup... A little history first to set this up.

About 10-12 years ago, the soundhead was at the old Rangertone to modify for stereo. The put a newwcell in, but for the narrower slit lens, they did NOT use one for the 1040 but took another on that was short & stubby. Doing so, they took off the tightening knob and put in a new lock down screw on the side. It is aslo apparent that they did some minor boring to that lense hole.

With the bright incadessent, there was always plenty of light to work. When the JAX went in, the short lens was NG for generating enough light. So I was able to obtain a proper slit lens. I installed and aligned using the scopes, but after contantly doing that, it never really seemed to hit the perfectly clear sound.

So after very careful study this past weekend, what had happened was that after I hit the right spot on the scopes, and then tightened, the tightening process (with their new set screw) was actually rotating the lens ever so slightly (changing azimuth) and with the wiggle room, was also shifting it horizontaly so it was giving weaker signal to the right channel area.

Sooo.. it will be some work to shim the lens so it won't shuffle in the next alignment. It at least looks like I may be on the right path. As always, gentlemen, thank you for your assistance!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: