Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Washable" Silver Screen

Author Topic: "Washable" Silver Screen
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2009 02:45 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading in a thread about a washable silver screen that some manufacturer is producing. I can't find the thread where I read it (I've tried searching). Can somebody either point me to the thread or let me know which screen manufacturer is making it.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2009 02:46 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not heard of one.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2009 03:32 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was in one of the 3D threads - I beleive Hurley was the manufacturer

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2009 06:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Its made by Hurley but be very leary about them. It is indeed washable too and not even Coke will damage the surface. We installed one and at first it looked great, that is until we saw a normal balanced and lit film and then ran 3-D on it. During the install the customers movie in that auditorium was pretty dark...filmed that way... so the splotchiness didn't stand out well. However.... we went back a month later to install the Master Image system and noticed it looked very splotchy and the tech from Master Image rated it a 4 on a 1 to 10 scale.

We took photos of the surface lit by white light and other colors from the DLP for Hurley to look at but the return answer from them was that the surface was good enough... they say it met their standards. All I can say is what crappy standards they have, pathetic really! I can tell you that we won't be ordering any more from them until they make good on this one. In fact if they don't make good on this obviously defective screen I will be listing them in the Deadbeats Thread!

Stay away from them for the time being!! Lets see if they get their standards up a bit higher first.

Mark

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2009 06:44 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, one of the "hidden" truths of the 3D industry is that most screens suck-butts at preserving polarization, uniformity, hottspotting, etc. Only one manufacturer truly delivers, with another 2 making it barely (and one only sells in Europe). The rest, I'm told by those that have truly tested them (I've only tested myself 4 or 5 materials, not the 7 or 8 available), they all suck to larger or lesser degree.

One more reason to go Dolby there.

Don't get me wrong. There are screens that preserve 98% of the polarization falling gently in angles up to 23º. But they are the least common screens you will ever find in a movie theater, due to size or cost or manufacturing reasons. Or all 3.

[Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: