Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Millennium gate linear bearing assembly

Author Topic: Millennium gate linear bearing assembly
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2009 03:34 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm told by Strong that the original linear bearing assembly for the Millennium gate is no longer available from the manufacturer, which is why they changed the design of the gate slightly. A quick search on Google using the info printed on the bottom of the assembly yields this page. However, what is pictured is not exactly what I need. Could it be just a generic picture, similar to how you will find the same picture (or actually drawing) for several different microswitches on Newark?

If this is not it, does anyone have a source for this part? (Strong p/n T1-A-56)

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-13-2009 11:16 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Ken; Can you match it from the ones shown on this page?

here

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2009 12:10 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here I was thinking this was a part engineered by Strong

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2009 12:30 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, thanks for that. The part in question is an S2-1. That is not listed on the page you gave. There is an S2-1SS that looks similar in the photo, but I don't believe the dimensions are the same. (Since its photo is drastically different than the one in the link I provided, perhaps they are not generic photos.) Furthermore, I can't seem to find any that have the beveled edge like the one used in the Millennium. I think I will call this company on Monday.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2009 06:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious how this bearng failed or what happened to it? I have never known one to fail.

Mark

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2009 08:52 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the screws on the end plate came a little loose, and as the gate would open, that plate got bent. The nylon ball guide now works its way past that retaining plate every time the gate opens, allowing it to open much further than it should. In my mind, this is a recipe for disaster. Furthermore, the hole for the lock pin is slightly larger than it should be. I have no idea why (perhaps someone drilled it out?), but the result is the gate is slightly loose when closed.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-20-2009 02:06 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken; I don't know if you have resolved this, but I talked to a friend at Strong, and he says there should be no problems with that part (T1-A-56.) Apparently this is the same slide used on Centurys. They changed the part number; try ordering 8200061. He says there are 75 of them in stock, so they are available.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2009 10:18 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I ordered one a few days ago. I was going to wait until I actually got it physical verify it is the same part, and then post here that I got it.

They're not cheap, either.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: