Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Keys for Strong Highlight Console

Author Topic: Keys for Strong Highlight Console
Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might seem like a silly question...

I am helping out at another theater and noticed that they only have one key for all 8 of their Highlight consoles. Sometimes this key gets misplaced and that can be kinda scary.

Can you purchase more of these keys? Do they have a part #? Or, is something that they might send for free.

I suppose another possibility is going to a key making place.

I am just afraid that one day this single key will get lost or broken and then they will be out of luck.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2009 06:33 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Strong consoles over the years have used the same key. Your best bet is to find a theater that has a crap ton of extras and ask if they would be willing to part with some for the theater in need.

I do not know if Strong sells or gives out just the key by itself, but they do sell the lock, each of which comes with two keys. Part no. 71284, "Cam Lock & Keys."

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-11-2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken...the Orange Strong consoles (made in Toledo) used different keys than the current crop.

Steve

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2009 07:47 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about any local hardware store can make duplicates for ya.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-11-2009 07:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Christie SLC key works on Strong consoles. It is a good idea just to carry one around on your keychain.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2009 02:08 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is for the Orange "Highlight" consoles (not "Highlight II") I probably have a few of these laying around, but won't be able to look for 3-4 weeks. Let me know if you haven't been able to find what you need by then.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2009 08:53 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like what we call at our theatre the "CH751" key.

We have a brass key that is stamped "CH751" that opens about 6 or 7 different non-related items at our theatre. One key will open our Xenex II lamphouse, the freezer in the kitchen, the Square D electrical panels in the back room, the door to the computer hutch in the office, and the access panel doors to the electrical hatches and water fill hatches on our concessions trailer.

How or why one key would fit so many non-related items is beyond me.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2009 09:16 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.amazon.com/CH751-Key-OEM-keys-pack/dp/B001562UII

Don't know if it will work, but a CH751 key it is. Or, rather, a pack of 10 of them for $5 plus shipping.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2009 09:21 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Floyd
We have a brass key that is stamped "CH751"
This must be some kind of generic key type.

I have a desk and a filing cabinet that use the identical key.

Any hardware store can probably dupe the one you have, but a professional lock & key shop can probably sell you a bag of 'em.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2009 10:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If he has the orange Highlights, the CH751 key will definitely NOT open them. That being said I've got about 10,000 of those things sitting around.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2009 12:05 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
reminds me of when I did work for Horizon. I was helping set up the booth for Showest and had grabbed a key. It only fit one lock, they had about 5 different keys for the 3 consoles. No big deal, a quick conversation with them and later, all locks and keys would be the same from then on. I'm surprised Andrew hasn't posted about this [Big Grin]

By the way, any of you fortunate enough to work on a Megasystems lamphouse, you'll be pleased to know that your Strong key fits as well [beer]
Rick

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-12-2009 01:38 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A screwdriver and hammer makes a good key for the Strong consoles. [Big Grin]

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2009 01:48 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Proctor & Co. I think they use that key for concession cabinets.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2009 04:46 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the tips gentleman...

I will be back at my own theater next week, but I will pass on all this info to the booth manager here (who, by the way, I convinced to register for the Film-Tech forums last night).

These consoles are not orange, they are gray. They are called "Super Highlight" but NOT "Highlight II". The model # is 71085602.

I looked in the manuals section and did not see a "Super Highlight". I saw "Highlight" and "Super Highlight II".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: