Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century Gray Paint

Author Topic: Century Gray Paint
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2009 03:59 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me how to go about buying paint to match Century gray?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-11-2009 04:13 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hammertone, wrinkle, or smooth?

Krylon Spaycan, Compressed-air paint gun, or Paint brush? [Razz]

Is THIS where I post my "I LUV my evil self" link?...huh? [Wink]

(Sorry Don, my good bud...I couldn't resist! ) [Smile]

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2009 05:18 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha Ha Phil I'll take any of the above!!! [Razz]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-11-2009 05:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are looking for powder coat, we have a near match to Strong's grey. Ours has a bit less black in it but texture and "greyness" are very close.

Seriously, the older paints varied over the years. "French Grey" is close. Louis

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2009 08:05 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't think it was worth starting a new thread over, but can anyone tell me how a hammertone finish is achieved?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-11-2009 09:18 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with a hammer?
seriously, it seems to be some sectret held by the paint wizards. The pigment particles in the paint don't stay homogenous - they form the pattern and then the solvent dries off leaving the hammertone effect. I've heard that you can get some spray paints to "hammertone" by spraying WD-40 lightly over the still-wet paint (never tried)
It may be something like the mystery of miso soup?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-11-2009 09:38 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before the EPA got them canned, you could buy paint with hammertone, or many other textures. Not so now, but it definately was the paint itself, not a technique.

Same way with powder coat, it is made to do that! Louis

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2009 10:34 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can still buy at least some kinds of hammertone paint. I just bought a can of Rustoleum "Hammered" paint last week.

The effect is somewhat similar to what you get when you paint over a surface that's contaminated with silicone, so maybe that's a clue as to how the hammered paint works.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2009 10:04 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hammertone paint had a solvent in it that dried at a different rate causing the pigment to migrate
Tremclad and CIL still have it available here
There used to be a wrinkle paint finish in a can and that has not been available for a while

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-12-2009 10:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Eastwood (the car folks) still have black wrinkle finish paint.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2009 10:48 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, and Plastidip makes black wrinkle paint too. The wrinkle works much better if you heat or bake it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: